2.5 gallon planted shrimp tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dominus

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all,

This will be my first freshwater planted tank in awhile. I have a 2.5 gallon tank and I will be running a red sea art deco filter on the tank. As for stocking I will deff need help with this one. For one where I am located (nyc) I am not really sure where to go to secure plants and specialty shrimp.

For now my first question is lighting, I have a 27 watt power compact light fixture that I can use. Is this too much light? In the past my planted tanks always grew a ton of algea and the actual plants would turn brownish and it looked like something was chewing holes through all the leaves, now the holesmay have been the hitchhiker snails but I still have no clue what caused the browness.

Have no fear I will be doing my research and trying to learn more about planted tank keeping. But some additional info for you guys is that I don't think I will be going with c02 injection so if anyone has some advice on where to get started let me know!

One last question for now, anyone know where to get substrate for a tank this size?!

(Sorry for any errors, I am on my blackberry and it is having trouble rendering so the typing is going slow)

That is definitely a lot of light. The holes in leaves is often a nutritional issues (K most likely). High light systems have different demands than sit-and-forget low light tanks.

Hmm, would I be better off with a 13w clip-on fixture then? I mean the plants I know I want for sure are the dwarf tears and dwarf hairgrass. I am still stuck on what to use as a substrate, I can't find anything smaller than a 15 pound bag and I don't want to waste that much

27w PC would be perfect for HC and DHG.

HOWEVER, like most carpeting plants, they really want CO2, ferts, and high light. If you're willing to make the plunge, then you have the makings a good setup.

Well that's the thing, what should I dose as far as ferts go? I have the high light, I am willing to does ferts. The only thing left is CO2, Can I get away with excel? CO2 is out of the question right now. I think I might jsut go with the Fluorite black sand unless someone says that is not that good. I am still in the research phase right now, ill post pictures of the tank soon!

Back
Top Bottom