2.5g Nano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

QuietPlotter

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone!

I have virtually no experience with plants apart from java moss, java fern, and christmas moss.

So, I was wondering if I could plant my 2.5g minibow in which my Betta lives in.

Specs-

-Not cycled. I saved him from blue walmart water, he is much better, but not cycled. Cycling.

Filter- Red Sea Deco Art Nano Filter

PH- 7.6

Lights- 120 Volt 15 Watt Bulb (x1)

Substrate- Normal Blue Petco Gravel (5 pounds)

Fish- Betta.

Ok, so here are the questions.

Can plants live in uncycled water?

Will they be OK if I simply take the plant and pot that they are in when bought, and bury the pot / root container under the gravel?

If so-

Low tech here, just lights and 75-80 degrees F.

Would anubias be ok? Amazon swords?

Would plants bring my ph down?

Apart from flourish, do they need anything else?

PLANT SUGGESTIONS- I am looking for an array of floating and a few bottom plants. Any suggestions? My tank is on the bottom. Just simply tell me the plants, the number, and where they go.

Please educate me on anything else, I really want to plant this, then my 10g.

TY so much,

QP

Attachments

• image-3598988765.jpg
    image-3598988765.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 84
QuietPlotter said:
Hi everyone!

I have virtually no experience with plants apart from java moss, java fern, and christmas moss.

So, I was wondering if I could plant my 2.5g minibow in which my Betta lives in.

Specs-

-Not cycled. I saved him from blue walmart water, he is much better, but not cycled. Cycling.

PH- 7.6

Fish- Betta.

YES! PLANTS CONSUME SOME OF THE AMMONIA AND NITRITES IN AN UNCYCLED TANK. THEY ACUALLY HELP THE CYCLE A LITTLE BIT.
Will they be OK if I simply take the plant and pot that they are in when bought, and bury the pot / root container under the gravel?
YES.
If so-

ANUBIAS, YES. AMAZON SWORDS, NO. THEY GET HUGE!
NO. THEY WON'T EFFECT IT.
FLOURISH IS FINE AND MAYBE SOME EXCEL. OTHER NUTRIENTS MAYBE NEEDED BUT YOU WON'T KNOW UNTIL LATER.
PLANT SUGGESTIONS- I am looking for an array of floating and a few bottom plants. Any suggestions? My tank is on the bottom. Just simply tell me the plants, the number, and where they go.
TRY PLANTGEEK YOU CAN SEARCH LOW LIGHT PLANTS.

TY so much,

QP

I wrote in capitals. :)

QuietPlotter said:
Hi everyone!

Specs-

PH- 7.6

Fish- Betta.

If so-

TY so much,

QP

You really don't want a amazon sword in there they get massive mine is at least 20inches tall (last time I measured it)

Thank you mumma, thank you rich! On my way to check out the site.

Alright, saw the plants.

I plan on getting a variety of Anubias, and a floating plant.

I have a betta and he sees his reflection when the light is on, he hated it when I put a background on, will floating plants help? If so, the light will be on about 12 hours a day.

I have a plastic plant by the filter intake, as the nylon sock messed up the water, and the plant works better. Would a plant be alright if it was in front of the intake? I don't think it would like it, might keep the fake one there.

Take a look at my picture. I'm going to tie some Java / Christmas moss on the sculpture cave decoration thing. Also, there is a fake plant behind that, I'll swap with an anubia.

The silk plant in the middle and part of the plastic one on the left do sway a bit in the current.

Are plants ok with that?

I might go and pick them up today.

Thanks,

QP

You can't go wrong with anubias I love that plant it looks stunning and I also have floating plants they look cool just make sure you stay on top of it they tend to grow very fast and cover the top of your tank but its easy to thin out just take some out

Alright, saw the plants.

I plan on getting a variety of Anubias, and a floating plant.
For anubias, you can either tie it to something like a rock or piece of driftwood or plant it in the substrate. Just make sure not to bury its rhizomes. For floating plants, what were you considering? You can try floating hornwort, it's a pretty fast grower.

I have a betta and he sees his reflection when the light is on, he hated it when I put a background on, will floating plants help? If so, the light will be on about 12 hours a day.
Floating plants could help relieve his stress. Most plants do that.
I have a plastic plant by the filter intake, as the nylon sock messed up the water, and the plant works better. Would a plant be alright if it was in front of the intake? I don't think it would like it, might keep the fake one there.
IMO I have hygrophillia and rotala by my tank. Nothing different about them from all the other plants.

Take a look at my picture. I'm going to tie some Java / Christmas moss on the sculpture cave decoration thing. Also, there is a fake plant behind that, I'll swap with an anubia.
IMO Christmas moss looks better, but java moss is a faster grower. I have java moss, I want to see how it looks with Xmas moss next to it.
The silk plant in the middle and part of the plastic one on the left do sway a bit in the current.

Are plants ok with that?

Yep. My current is strong, the plants don't mind.
I might go and pick them up today.

Remember to post pics!

Thanks,

QP

I wrote in bold red. Good luck! (y)

Thanks! Will do! Hopefully I can go down to my LFS today and pick up some plants. How much does a bottle of flourish cost? I have 3, but they were given to me by my science teacher. They are for my 40g...

Yep, I wil post pics!

I'll also be working on my ten, so that is coming up too!!

QP

Well,

I bought some hornwart.

The Betta hated it, lol. So, I put it in my ten gallon. I'll be fully planting/adding driftwood/ possibly after christmas.

Here are the pics, it doesn't seem to be doing too well...

Attachments

• image-3642684769.jpg
    image-3642684769.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 80
  • image-2263758943.jpg
    image-2263758943.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 72
Back
Top Bottom