5 Gal ADA Cube Garden #2 Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fort384

Dividing by 0
Site Team
So MTS has really been setting in lately, but I just didn't want to setup a larger tank again since we move frequently. I decided that the 5 gal tanks are easy to move. I decided to go with another ADA Cube Garden. It will be similar to my other tank with a few differences:

On this tank, I will use PPS Pro dosing. Today, I built 2 auto dosers according to Neilan's plans.

I decided to go with the ADA CO2 system. Yes, the cartridges are a little pricey, but it is convenient and compact. We have 2 of these little cabinets (1 of which already has my other ADA tank on it), and in order to fit the autodosers, the canister filter, and the CO2, I had to go small. We will see how it works.

I ordered all the ADA glass with this tank... everything in/on the tank will be glass. The only non-ada component will be the light. I decided to go with another archaea clip on the back light. I think they look better than the ADA solar mini m's, and they are far more adjustable. Same wattage... 27W CF bulb.

It will have manten rock hardscape with black amonzonia powder aquasoil. For plants, I plan on going simple... it will be an iwagumi type scape. Either glosso or dwarf baby tears -- and this tank is going to be a red bee shrimp tank... always had plans to do that with the old one but it never happened. This time it is happening :)

So... all the ADA stuff is on order and should be here in about 8-10 days. Also going with another eheim 2211 for filtration, which is on its way.

The timers for lights, CO2, and autodosers are setup. The PPS Pro solutions are mixed up and ready to go. It is going to be hard to get through the next week waiting for this stuff. :)

More to come.

19738-albums1199-picture8354.jpg

Here is a pic of the cabinet with the new autodosers installed. Awesome handy-work on the wood base :)

what so awesome about these ADA tanks? i've seen them but they just seem so expensive for a tank, mr aqua tanks are around the same sizes for like 1/3 the price and look the same

Lookin good. I really like the ADA stuff, it's gorgeous and near perfect all the time.

If you didn't do it, add powersand to your order. It really does complete the aquasoil substrate system and does make a difference.

Powersand is on the way too. Everything should be here Monday. I haven't seen a tank yet that compares to the quality of ADA and their substrates are fantastic. Yes it is pricey, but it is quality too.

The glassware is great. We will see how the CO2 system does. It looks like I should get about 2 months out of a cart on my size tank.

All shipping is delayed thanks to the ice storm last week in Georgia. I am hoping everything gets here tomorrow.

Have settled on glosso for the carpet and some Eriocaulon sp for accent. Glosso will be here Friday, Eriocaulon will take a few weeks as it is coming from Singapore via UK to me in Georgia.

19738-albums1199-picture8504.jpg

19738-albums1199-picture8503.jpg

Well, the tank is setup and running. Tested the autodosers, they seem to be working great. Lots of bubbles still but it is clearing nicely.

You can see all the equipment that is running into the tank in the back left corner. It came out clean with all the glassware.

I tried to build a pretty large slope back to front into the scape. We will see how long it lasts... The glosso got here today too (good timing!) so I have that planted. Now just waiting on the Eriocaulon to arrive and it should be complete. Want to keep it simple. Now to grow it in...

The ADA co2 system was a breeze to setup.

Now to just let all the ammonia leach out of the aquasoil and let the tank cycle.

Powersand, aquasoil, co2, PPS Pro, and high lighting is doing the trick... 24 hours after planting the glosso, it is pearling like crazy.

Glosso is filling in nicely. My other plants have arrived from Singapore in the UK and are due to ship out next week.

Ammonia is still rather high. Water has a bit of a brown tint to it--but getting more clear every day.

PPS Pro autodosers are working like a champ. In such a small tank the 200mL/day works as a nice top off mechanism as well. The water level in the tank stays almost the same day to day where as in the other 5 gal I have to top off a few times a week between PWCs to keep it looking decent.

Anyone think I need to put a fish or two in after the cycle for awhile before adding CRS or once it is cycled should I just try to start with CRS?

Attachments

• image-2082941317.jpg
    image-2082941317.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 165
  • image-539320262.jpg
    image-539320262.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 159
  • image-1147330727.jpg
    image-1147330727.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 165
I would add the fish first, Ive heard of CRS needing an established aquarium before entering. What fish are you planning to add?

I don't know. I will probably just pull a couple neons out of my other tank. Once the CRS are in, I think I will pull the fish out.

Was looking at some small (smaller than neons) tetras online the other day, can't remember what they are called. Problem is, the only store that sells fish within 60 miles of here is petsmart, and neons are as exotic as it gets with them...

have you considered endlers, Celestial pearl danios, or sparkling gouramis? They stay pretty small (about 1 inch)

I think before investing in the CRS I'd give it a few months to make sure everything is absolutely stable. Whether you add fish or not I wouldn't worry about, shrimp aren't really going to establish any bioload and your plants will be more than capable of handling it, so I wouldn't worry about a cycle with a heavily planted tank and just shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom