55g planted lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tsweers89

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So im getting together a freshwater aquarium to start. Want to make sure i do enough research and have everything before i start. This is were my question come in.

Im going to be doing a planted aquarium. What lights do you guys recommend to work with? 2 24" fixtures or one 48'? What kind of bulbs?

if you could link me or give me a specific one to look for that would be great. I know i wanna get T5 but im lost after that. I dont need the best but i dont want the worst. something in the middle is what i am looking for. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

One 48" fixture will probably be easiest as nearly all of the PC and T5 fixtures sit on legs on the aquarium frame rather than around the whole edge like a hood does.

What kind of light depends a little on what kind of plants you want to grow. Starting around 2 watts per gallon or a little less will allow you to get the hang of the planted tank thing without requiring CO2 or serious ferts, while still giving you a decent variety of plants to try. So something like a 2x65 watt PC or 2x54 watt T5HO would be about right. The T5 will be a little "brighter" (ie more light) than the PC despite the apparent wattage difference.

Look for a fixture that says "freshwater" as the saltwater fixtures will most likely have one actinic bulb or 50:50 bulbs which are not useful to your plants. If you do end up with a fixture with an actinic bulb it can be changed out too. For plants you want a bulb with a Kelvin (K) rating between 5500K and 10000K.

i see many diffrent types of fixtures to pick from ranging from $100-$450. I plan on getting T5. Which should i be looking at and which should i stay away from?

You should look for ones with polished aluminum reflectors, preferable German made. <The T5's are better basically because of the reflectors ... getting T5's with lousy reflectors defeats the purpose.> And get 48" fixtures instead of 2 24" - you have better choices & cheaper bulbs in the 48".

I have heard about problems with overheating/fires/early death with Odyssea fixtures.

I've heard good things with Nova Extreme fixtures.

<No personal experience with any T5 fixtures tho.>

I'm looking into upgrading my light setup from the stock one that came with my 55 to these1blue and 1 white http://www.fishneedit.com/t5ho-4ft--2lamp-aquarium-light.html with the 14000K I don't wanna use CO2 I hear to much lighting would require co2 I'm gonna try growing some kind of carpet I use excel now in the tank but what do u think of the new lighting upgrade idea

Ok so I just realized that 48" would be too big I need 24" but the site above shows the 24" only as 10000K is that still good enough for what I want plants and what not I was hoping to go with the blue bulb also thanks for all the help

Ok so I just realized that 48" would be too big I need 24" but the site above shows the 24" only as 10000K is that still good enough for what I want plants and what not I was hoping to go with the blue bulb also thanks for all the help

Why do you need 24"? 55s are 48 inches long, or did I miss something? I have an aqueon dual t5 that was really cheap and allows me to grow some medium-high light plants in my 55, but I don't think you'd be able to grow any carpets without getting into the T5HO side of things

Sorry I must of forgot to edit my post its 55gal tall not long so I'm like 30inches or something so the light that came with my tank is 24inches

Ahhh okay, now it makes sense haha. Most fixture come in the 30" size though so definitely look up the dimensions and get the 30 if it fits.

Ahhh okay, now it makes sense haha. Most fixture come in the 30" size though so definitely look up the dimensions and get the 30 if it fits.

Thanks again I'm gonna measure before I do buy I was just at petsmart and they had t8 that promote plant growth they are 17 watts .. I/w on thoughts about those petsmart girl didn't know anything about it lol..

Ps Zimm I sent u a pm about it

Well I ordered the 30inch t5hO fixture with 1 white 10000k and 1 blue from the website

Thanks I think when I'm ready I'm gonna drop dirt or clay down under he gravel and really try planting stuff in it but for now it gonna stay like this maybe one.or two more plants

So any idea on types of plants I should add.. I've been just getting what I thought looked nice didn't really go with any type of theme or look

Back
Top Bottom