92g corner tank journal - updated 3-25 **dialup warning**

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GlitcH

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well I finally did it. Went out and picked up the new tank today.
I got it sitting in my dinning room while I wait to have a rug put in the living room.
Just filled it up.......so far so good.......no leaks!
But I'm not exactly crazy about how sturdy the stand looks so I'm beefin up the three corners.

92G-Corner-3.jpg

92G-Corner-1.jpg

92G-Corner-2.jpg

Adding some support is never a bad thing. Just sit for a moment and imagine the events that would unfold if the stand were to collapse for whatever reason. Mmmmm fun.

Looks like a fun size tank to work with! Keep us updated with pictures as you stock and aquascape. Good luck!

Ya I would like to beef up that front support.....but I'm terrible at woodworking and whatever I would do to that particular support would need to be strickly framing.....i suck at finish work.
Cuz of how the tank is built.
Speaking of how it's built, it is most probably just fine the way it is, I mean, its a brand new stand made just for that tank by allglass, BUT......to me it seems kinda funny the way they built it.
All the weight seems to be on the staples holding it together instead of using the wood to hold the weight.

But ya it's gonna be fun to scape this.
I want to build alot of caves and such.
Right up the back of the tank with lots of teers for plants and stuff.
What would be a good base to build off of.......instead of just using rock from the ground up.
I'd like to lighten the load with some kind of filler. (for the back corner) Something that won't be seen, just a base for the caves and other decor.

Also, does anyone know how long it takes for silicone to cure?

I'm often surprised by the construction quality of tank stands that I see at the LFS's. I suppose they work okay the way they're built, but it just seems surprising that more of them don't fall apart considering the hundreds of pounds of weigth they're supposed to support. I bought a cheapo bookshelf myself, and added some additional wood (pine and oak) pieces to make it more sturdy...and that was for only 25 gallons.

For that middle-front post in your stand...maybe you could get an appropriately long/tall 2"x4" or 1"x4" and put it behind the middle piece, so that it's providing support without ruining the aesthetics of the entire piece.

Anyway, your aquascaping idea sounds like a great project. If you're looking for lightweight items, then here are some acrylic risers that might fit your needs.
http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=356&

Most DIY caves seem to be made using PVC pipe (usually white) or ABS pipe (usually black)...sometimes with gravel/sand/slate attached to the outside to look less pipe-ish. If you need an adhesive to use, then GE 100% Silicone I Sealant (Window & Door) works well and is much cheaper than the Aquarium-specific stuff sold at LFS's/online. Whatever you use, just make sure it doesn't contain any anti-mildew/mold/fungus additives...as those aren't safe for fish.

Good luck, it sounds like a lot of fun!

go to the DIY forum. There are a lot of pages about people who use styrofoam. It would proably work for your tank. I don't know much about it except that it often looks very good.

noncentric said:
For that middle-front post in your stand...maybe you could get an appropriately long/tall 2"x4" or 1"x4" and put it behind the middle piece, so that it's providing support without ruining the aesthetics of the entire piece.
If you're looking for lightweight items, then here are some acrylic risers that might fit your needs.
http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=356&

Most DIY caves seem to be made using PVC pipe (usually white) or ABS pipe (usually black)...sometimes with gravel/sand/slate attached to the outside to look less pipe-ish. If you need an adhesive to use, then GE 100% Silicone I Sealant (Window & Door) works well and is much cheaper than the Aquarium-specific stuff sold at LFS's/online. Whatever you use, just make sure it doesn't contain any anti-mildew/mold/fungus additives...as those aren't safe for fish.

Good luck, it sounds like a lot of fun!

Well thanks noncentric, for all that research!
As for the front support post.........can't put it behind....there is nothing in back to fasten it to. Whatever I do needs to be done to the front of that post. So at this point I am leaving it as is. (Reluctantly)

Those acrylic risers that you link to are pretty cheap and seem like they would do the job.......my only concern is if they would hold the weight of the rest of the structure. There will be alot of sand and rocks on top of them. (Have you done business with that company before?)

Yes 100% silicone works great and it is cheap compared to the little tubes you get at the pet store. I've used it before (years ago) and just couldn't remember how long it should be left to cure before ya add water.

Japola44---- I was checkin that forum out last night .....lots of good info!
I would have never thought of styrofoam. I think though......that it would compress under the weight I would be putting on top of it.

Glenc-------- I hope your right :wink:

OK guys,

Below is a quick sketch of how I'd like to build up the back corner of the tank.
As you can see I'm not quite an artist :)

layout.jpg

Check out the Filter outlet diagram.....I was thinking about piping the return down the back corner and out through a cave opening located about a 1.5 feet from the front glass.

I figure this is a good way to slow the current and lessen the currents impact on the taller plants.

My question is, can anyone think of any filtration problems that might cause.

I'll be using 2 Eheim 2215's for this tank.

Thx and......feel free to goof on my drawing.

As far as the front post goes, you would fasten support to the back, making a tee. As far as the filter goes, where are you planning to put the intake? If you are putting it on carpet, make sure you keep it away from the tackless strip used to hold the carpet. Otherwise it will not sit flat on the floor, and the stand will be stressed. Corner tanks are kind of neat, but hard to work on and hard to light.

BillD...I am planning on putting the intakes on either side of the hill I am building.
As for the stand.......thanks for letting me know about the tackless strip.....that would have never occured to me.

Hey you went with a 92 huh, looks familiar

There will be a lot of current coming right across the center of the tank where all the light is!
I think that will be alot harder on the plants than across the top, plus you want some surface movement. I would use two spray bars. Mount one on each side with the holes pointed at the glass, then maybe drill extra holes, some on the top and bottom of the existing ones, if you want to cut down on the current.

Interesting idea for the volcano shape in the back!

TwoHobbies.........yup.......finally got the tank.
Ya I think I'm gonna try it with both outlets down the back....I can always move it if the current is to strong.
That's a good idea bout the extra holes and pointing it at the glass though.
I may need to steal that idea.

The algae looks like Diatoms. Otos and/or time after dense planting will clear that up. I like the filter exit idea.

Thx czcz.......I am working on it in my spare time......nuthin much to take a pic of yet but soon........i hope :)

nice tank i seen that one at the lfs last time i went and is it staying there in the middle of the room? kind of odd if you ask me but hey thats just me

lol Nitrous..........ya that would be odd....it's not just u.

I had it in my dinning room for a few days cuz I was waiting to have a rug installed in the living room.
It's gonna go in a corner there.

Right now it's close to the corner I'm putting it in........just cocked out a bit so I can work on it. I'll take more pics soon.

Ok.......it's coming along.........slowly, but it is coming together.

Here are the latest pics....

Here is just the tank with the freshly cut pvc for the filter outlet.
pvc.jpg

I didn't get a picture but before I glued the pipe in.....I attached some lava rock to the end to hide the pvc and make it somewhat resemble a cave.

This one is just after I got the driftwood in the way I wanted it.
progress1.jpg

Then I built up a wall of lava rock with driftwood roots and some caves. I'll be puttin a roof on that today.
progress2.jpg

And a closer shot:
progress3.jpg

I'm using lava rock from HomeDepot.....ya know.......the stuff for your grill. It's cheap and about 80% of the Char-broil stuff has a good gray color to it.
I decided to use the redish lava rock pieces (cuz I dont like the color) to fill in the back of the structure. I figured it's pretty lightweight and it wont compact.

Man I'm having so much fun with this.......but at the same time I wanna rush it so I can get some life in the tank.

Yea-- I remember doing that, It is fun isn't it! Looks good

Are you still going all the way up the back with the lava rock?, and did you check it, I think some lava rock floates, or is it siliconed together

Back
Top Bottom