Additional light for Fluval Edge 12g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brennae

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm doubting the led lights in this tank can grow much. I'm sticking with lower light plants such as crypts, anubias and Java ferns. The tank does get some natural light but it's from across the room. Any suggestions on a light I can add? I was thinking of setting the additional light right on top of the glass - on legs of course. There is a fancy upgrade made by another company but it's $179. Too much when thay is more than the tank costs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've been thinking about a Finnex Stingray for my 6 gallon. There's a thread on The Planted Tank dedicated to edges that's up to like 150 pages and there some very clever DIY led fixtures that people have made. I have it bookmarked on my computer and can post a link tomorrow if you're interested in that.

_________
Yelling into the tin can from the far end of the string

Thanks! When I get on my computer I will take a look.

I read the first 7 pages so far. Only problem is my edge 12g has different lights. They are leds but mounted differently and there are 21.

Current Satellite looks awesome but not sure I want to let go of that much $. I would want the light with the ramp timer etc. Finnex is more in my price range.

Keep in mind that the beginning of that thread started back when the 6 gallon tanks were just released and came with halogen lights. You have to get through quite a ways to get up to the "modern" era. I think the 12 gallon is supposed to have a 42 led fixture?

Oh maybe it does. I could be wrong. I'll jump ahead in the thread then.

You are correct. I was looking at the specs for the 6g.

I read the first 7 pages so far. Only problem is my edge 12g has different lights. They are leds but mounted differently and there are 21.

Current Satellite looks awesome but not sure I want to let go of that much $. I would want the light with the ramp timer etc. Finnex is more in my price range.

What is your budget anyways?

You only mentioned that you didn't want to spend $179, or whatever would be more than the cost of the tank. Totally understandable. The Current Sat+ in 18" would be $63.11, which is about 65% less than where you don't want to be. IMO, it's a great light that will allow you cool features and dimming ability that the Finnex wouldn't. If you go with Finnex, it's a great light and more intensity (PAR) for the buck, but without ability to dim, you'll have to be cautious about how long you run it or get more carbon (via glut or co2 injection) to avoid algae.

Brian, where are you pricing the Current Sat +, I really like those lights. I just don't want to spend $200 or even $150 if I can avoid it. Its for my current favorite tank, my killi tank so I am willing to spend a little bit. Its also in my bedroom, so being able to dim it would be great!

Back
Top Bottom