Advice on a light purchase

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Satyricon553

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been looking around for a new light. It's my first planted tank and I'm honestly at a loss.

I bought a few beginner/low light plants yesterday. Some anacharis, wisteria, and something else I'm not sure of, but was told it's low light. I am using the bulb/light that came with my 38 gallon aquarium. The bulb is only 17w. That's not nearly enough light based on what I have read.

As I look for more lights, it seems like everything is focused on high output light for needs above what I want. I'm having trouble finding something that would work for my set up. I think I found something, but would like some advice before I buy anything.

Would this light work? Or does someone have some other recommendation?

Aquarium Lighting T5 Fluorescent Light Fixture: AquaticLife T5 HO Dual Lamp Light Fixtures

Secondary question regarding the feet and legs on the bottom of most lights: Are those required. I'd like to be able to place the new light on my existing hood and have it be close to the clear plastic part that the existing light shines through.

I'm unfortunately not a light expert, but if you call the Drs. Foster and Smith number, they have people there that can answer those questions for you as well if no one else here chimes in!

try this out, you have a 20'' tank and this fixture is roughly probably 4'' above the water so this would put you at 'high' light for that 2 bulb fixture

t7iu8g.png

that is from this thread on a different site

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/lighting/105774-par-vs-distance-t5-t12-pc.html

Then could you or someone else point me in the direction of a light that comes with normal output bulbs? Or would it be better if I just ran the one linked above with only one bulb?

Back
Top Bottom