Anubias and light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JPKeenan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Three (or more) quicky questions.

I picked up two more Anubias plants. Looks like Anubias barteri. I read not to sink the roots into the substrata, like that did at the store. The other variety of Anubias I have tied to driftwood.... Should I do the same with this variety?

Second, would a run of the mill, non-grow light (the light that comes with a wal-mart hood) be good enough for these plants? Might get one for the tank for my daughter.

Third. A leaf came off while in transit. can I put that leaf in a cup of water and will it sprout roots?

And finally..... If I take one of the Anubias and place it in a tank that is being cycled will it kill the plant? The extra ammonia being added to get the bacteria started killing it?

Sorry for the newbe questions I am curious.

These are all good questions. I believe I can help you.

The light that came with your tank should be fine, unless you have a really poor wattage (it should say on the fixture). Post the wattage and I can say for sure, but Anubias just need some light.

The leaf will not sprout roots. New anubias can be split off from the root, just make sure that each section has substantial root system and at least 3 stems/leaves.

The cycle does not harm Anubias, they are a pretty tough plant that can survive in most water conditions and light levels. As long as you aren't dosing more than 3 ppm ammonia I can't imagine harming the plants. Ammonia is a nutrient.

Good luck!

Cool I will cut off a little chunk and put it in the tank when I go to drop it off :)

Her tank has the regular 15w flor. lighting in a 20g tank. I know that is super low light and it doesn't have the same color spectrum as a grow light.

I still have the ammonia in the tank I am cycling at 4+ppm, it just started cycling with a used filter media and a sack of gravel last weekend, so not expecting the ammonia to drop for at least a week.

I am going to do another PWC and take the plants up and attach them to some driftwood instead of having them in the gravel or sand.

I haven;t had much luck with plants cause I have low light, but luckily the anubias is supposed to be a low light plant so here's hoping.

15w should be fine, I had anubias grow under 19w stock hood lights. You could also do Java Fern and Java Moss, all of those plants I had probably double in size over 3-4 months under 19w in a 10g. Try to plant them directly underneath the light.

Anubias is such a tough plant that it has been suggested for use in brackish tanks, same with the javas. So I have some in the 80. It's also a great plant for cichlids. I have some in the 55 and they stay clear of it. :)

I have some driftwood boiling. Problem is I put the plants in a tank I think is sick.

I've heard of using the peroxide bath for plants. How exactly can I do this? In a bag, equal parts water and H2O2?

I want to clean the tank and transfer the plants if possible without getting infections to the new tank.

I haven't tried the H2O2 for cleaning them. I just mix up a batch of aquarium salt and water then let them sit in it for a few. I'm curious to see if you get any response on the H2O2 for my own future knowledge.

I have heard a few mention the peroxide bath for new plants but I am not sure how long you are supposed to let them sit in it and in what quantity. Straight out of the bottle or a 2:1 mixture.

I take it from letting the plants sit in a salt water mixture for a few you mean a few days? I haven't heard about the salt but will give it a try.

Wow, glad I found this thread! One question (if no one minds the interruption) - it's better to tie anubias to something rather than try to get it to grow in the gravel? Not sure what kind I have, or if that makes any difference but the roots/rhizomes are buried in gravel. If this is bad, do I just use a rubberband or fishing line to attatch it to driftwood?

Thanks!

May sound silly but how tightly should it be tied - just enough to keep it from floating away or so that it's nearly stapled? Will the roots always stick out or will they work into the wood?

I tie mine just tight enough that it stays. If you tie it too tight you may harm the roots.

I have never had Anubias so can't tell you if the roots grow into the wood. I know Java Fern just grows around the wood or rock I tie it to.

Thanks. It would be nice if the anubias would grow into the same kind of 'carpet' as the java fern but at this point I'll be happy if the little thing lives! Gonna need a few days to recoup after starting the new tank...

I know the one I have they have them buried in the gravel at my LFS but teh guy told me to attach to a stone or driftwood.

This was the kind that was low growing and had the jagged leaves.

Mine's also small but has rounded leaves or maybe they just haven't been nibbled on yet! So is a rock just as good as driftwood for attaching? I thought the more porous, the better.

I tied mine to a piece of slate that was slightly larger than the rhizome... I used a dark green thread (just pulled it from the t-shirt i was wearing, who keeps thread around? lol) and then about a month later the roots were all around the slate and looks like the thread has just about rotted... Fishing line wont rot, but it cant be seen. Im not sure how it would do with anubias... If the rhizome is like a tree, it would eventually get bigger and then it would have to grow around the line.. not sure though...

*lol* yeah I had to go out and buy some thread. One of the few times I wish my ex wife was around cause she was into all that crafts stuff and would have thread on hand.

I have heard everything from rubber bands, to fishing line, to zip ties being used.

*lol* yeah I had to go out and buy some thread. One of the few times I wish my ex wife was around cause she was into all that crafts stuff and would have thread on hand.

I have heard everything from rubber bands, to fishing line, to zip ties being used.
well i just got thinking how i was going to tie it down, then i saw a shirt and a light bulb came on... there are always pieces of thread hanging from t-shirts, especially the ones i have ripped the sleeves off of, so thats my "diy anubias tie down" lol... redneck, yes... gets the job done, yes... wierd, yes... but hey, who cares if it works, right?

not even going to mention that i was going to use some thread from a sock that was falling apart *lol*.

We got a wide range of ages here but sure there are enough old farts like me to remember the Kinks song Low Budget. It's been my theme song for the past 3 years....

"My hair is all mine, my teeth are my own, everything else is on permanent loan..."

Back
Top Bottom