Basic questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eAts

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm considering rescapeing my 44gal. I currently have floating pennywort and wisteria, and I dose flourish comprehensive weekly and excel daily. The substrate is sand right now but I wouldn't mind going Eco complete and capping with the sand. I want to remove the fake plants and start planting. I have a finnex ray II raised 6 inches above the tank. I'm starting to notice green algae and I'm looking at doing co2 ( haven't ordered anything yet I'm still looking) I'm looking for any suggestions.

Thanks,
Kyle

I run eco-complete in my 40g breeder and its great! but capping it with sand isnt going to work the sand would just filler down over time leaving the eco on top. If you have algae showing it could be a few things. how long are your lights on per day?

Lights are on about 6.5 hours, they are new and I knew I would have to do co2 most likely. I had had diatoms for awhile, but I had cleaned everything spotless and with the new light i'm starting to see green algae. I do 40% water changes weekly, and clean the filter every other. I'm not too concerned with the algae, and I've been doing my reading. I would just like more advice before I get everything going and it all fails. The tank itself has been running since July 2012, and everything seems to be doing well, but I really like the look of planted tanks and want to switch mine over. Is it better to cap with gravel then or with nothing at all? Also how deep should the bed of substrate be, 2 inches eco-complete and another inch of gravel?

I personally like the the look of Eco and would just leave it but if you want to change the look. 2" eco and 1" gravel would work. I don't run Co2. You dont have to run Co2 to have a nice planted tank. I just use excel and pps-pro method with dry ferts. Following in the footsteps of a fellow forum member rivercats. I am also new to planted tanks. Having only just started planting my tanks seriously a few months ago. I'm very happy with the results so far. you can see my tanks below in the threads in my signature

Last edited:
Thank you for the advice, I'm actually reading your 40g thread now, and my god those rams look great along with the tank of course! I have two male bolivians in mine right now and would love to add two blue rams but we will see. Hopefully I'll be able to start planting more and get that substrate switched over. Unfortunately being a full time senior in college, and worked 36+ hours a week I find myself not having any free time on my hands.

Thanks again,
Kyle

Back
Top Bottom