Bichir's First Planted!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Your BB should catchup soon.
Yes, join the local club! You will have access to lots and lots of plants.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Your BB should catchup soon.
Yes, join the local club! You will have access to lots and lots of plants.

Yeah for sure! there's a meeting this month I'm planning on going to.
He showed me pics of some red downoi and some sick Buce and some other really cool lookin plants. Can't wait!

Hey guys maybe yall can answer me a question that's buzzing around my cerebellum...is activated carbon bad for planted aquariums?
I have a little pack of it in here to help clear out the water (which is completely clear now) so should I remove it or is does it matter?

Hey guys maybe yall can answer me a question that's buzzing around my cerebellum...is activated carbon bad for planted aquariums?
I have a little pack of it in here to help clear out the water (which is completely clear now) so should I remove it or is does it matter?

I've never seen a use for it. I don't use it in any of my tanks.

Caleb

Hello Bichir

Sorry that ive only just stumbled upon this thread. I try to follow anyone who comments on my thread. So im now subscribed!

Just reading through now and some comments id like to add....

Eheim 350 skim will be perfect. How did you think it had no outflow?? Where did you think the water it sucked in went? Haha like the black hole of aquariums!! Funny

Otos in my experience are perfectly fine in smaller groups than the recommended. Ive never heard of them dying off early due to loneliness. I can only imagine they were stressed in that tank to cause that.

Buces ......... GET THEM!! you'll love them

Activated carbon is used mainly to draw medications out of the water. The activated carbon is full of microscopic little holes giving each piece lots of surface area. Basically medications and tannins stick to the stuff. Activated does have a limited life though so its worth keeping hold of until you actually need it. Fish tank activated carbon is the same stuff found in drinking water purifiers like BRITA water systems.

Following along, looking forward to updates ...

I've never seen a use for it. I don't use it in any of my tanks.

Caleb

Thanks Caleb! I'll be removing it once I get her planted...

Hello Bichir

Sorry that ive only just stumbled upon this thread. I try to follow anyone who comments on my thread. So im now subscribed!

Just reading through now and some comments id like to add....

Eheim 350 skim will be perfect. How did you think it had no outflow?? Where did you think the water it sucked in went? Haha like the black hole of aquariums!! Funny

Otos in my experience are perfectly fine in smaller groups than the recommended. Ive never heard of them dying off early due to loneliness. I can only imagine they were stressed in that tank to cause that.

Buces ......... GET THEM!! you'll love them

Activated carbon is used mainly to draw medications out of the water. The activated carbon is full of microscopic little holes giving each piece lots of surface area. Basically medications and tannins stick to the stuff. Activated does have a limited life though so its worth keeping hold of until you actually need it. Fish tank activated carbon is the same stuff found in drinking water purifiers like BRITA water systems.

Following along, looking forward to updates ...

Hey Skelly! Welcome! Thanks for comment! And lol I thought it might have been like a tiny little fart outflow nothing major. Glad to hear it'll help in that department. Black hole lol :D
I'll definitely see about gettin some buces at the meet, they're pretty sick lookin plants. Would be a really great addition.
And updates soon to come later this week!

Some updates!
-just did a test for all the major levels and it came back as follows- Ammonia=4.0 Trite= approx. 3-5 (guess that bacteria doesn't like me after all) Trate=3-5 pH= 6.4
Not the colors I wanted to see but I did slack on water changes. I'll be picking those up...
On a brighter note, look what came in the mail today!!

Excuse the poor image quality, I don't normally photograph in the day time due to glare reasons.

It's a sweet little skimmer Bichir...

sit in silence...

It looked bigger than it actually is in all the photos I've seen. I'm amazed at the difference not only in oil film (which went from insanely thick to crystal clear) but also the out flow.

Have you turned it up all the way?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Nyet, any higher and it becomes a bubble machine.
Once I get fish and stuff I'm going to play around with the flow more, I have no reference to how hard it's actually flowing cuz ya know rocks don't move lol.
*edit* Oh and just did a test, things are lookin up! I didn't slack up on water changes so I'm thinkin that helped so here they are.. Ammonia- approx .5-.75 / Trites- approx .5-.75 / pH- 6.6 / Trates- approx. 5.0
If this keeps up I can add some fishes pretty soon after she's planted!

Here a little late but that's a neat little set up you've got going Bircher. What's your stock plans? Ever considered killis? If not I agree with skelly, maybe some a grade shrimps too... ;)

Here a little late but that's a neat little set up you've got going Bircher. What's your stock plans? Ever considered killis? If not I agree with skelly, maybe some a grade shrimps too... ;)

Hey Matt welcome aboard! Right now I'm leaning pretty heavily towards a DP w/ some other tank mate(s) because the area the tanks in sees a lot of action & I'm afraid a school of micro rasbora would get frightened easily.
If I do go w/ micro rasboras I do plan on possibly getting some amano shrimp. I like the cherry shrimps & such but I prefer amanos.
If i go dp he'll likely be in with a cpo &/or oto cats.

Hey Matt welcome aboard! Right now I'm leaning pretty heavily towards a DP w/ some other tank mate(s) because the area the tanks in sees a lot of action & I'm afraid a school of micro rasbora would get frightened easily.
If I do go w/ micro rasboras I do plan on possibly getting some amano shrimp. I like the cherry shrimps & such but I prefer amanos.
If i go dp he'll likely be in with a cpo &/or oto cats.

That's probably smart with considering them getting frightened I rearranged my whole room to solve the same issue. You should consider some clown killis instead of the dp, just throwing it out there for more ideas. They'll be fine too with otos and smaller timid fish like that.

That's probably smart with considering them getting frightened I rearranged my whole room to solve the same issue. You should consider some clown killis instead of the dp, just throwing it out there for more ideas. They'll be fine too with otos and smaller timid fish like that.

Thanks for the suggestion, haven't even looked at em for the tank. Nifty little fish, they'll certainly be a competitor here...

That was randomly odd. Your units of measurement are odd as well ?
Probably clogging over time with the buildup of biofilm/slime. You could try some type of fish-safe screen material over the slotted area.

That was randomly odd. Your units of measurement are odd as well ?
Probably clogging over time with the buildup of biofilm/slime. You could try some type of fish-safe screen material over the slotted area.

? thanks. The more I look back on it the more I realized that had too much Texas in it. The random factor was large too lol.
I'll look into some mesh or something, maybe even use that same stuff I used to block off the filter slots...

I'm sure you could use window screen if you could find any

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Not related to the five gal but look what happened to find its way into my room after work....

Back
Top Bottom