Bichir's First Planted!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tweezers or not I still have some plants that won't stay! A.K.A. Star repens.

Good luck planting :)

Caleb

Tweezers or not I still have some plants that won't stay! A.K.A. Star repens.

Good luck planting :)

Caleb

Toothpicks! Use toothpicks to hold them in place. You can use a pair per plant; insert them at an angle in opposite directions (picture an "X"). I did that when I had tissue culture star repens. They were so tiny.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks guys!
Caleb/Fresh/Matt- I plan on picking up some star repens at the next meeting so I'll for sure use that toothpick method! And thanks for the heads up, at least now I can anticipate it :) and I didn't really use the tweezers to plant, only to move some stuff and such.
Tiger- I didn't even think of that, thanks for the help! I'll for sure give that a shot next time I have a plant that's doing that....

Toothpicks! Use toothpicks to hold them in place. You can use a pair per plant; insert them at an angle in opposite directions (picture an "X"). I did that when I had tissue culture star repens. They were so tiny.

I actually am using little plastic colorful swords! Not as appealing but I've found the hilt and guard hold the plant down better than a toothpick. That's what has worked for me.

Caleb

I actually am using little plastic colorful swords! Not as appealing but I've found the hilt and guard hold the plant down better than a toothpick. That's what has worked for me.

Caleb

Someone just wanted to be an indie hipster haha

I've found thinner stems plant better then thicker ones. eg. It takes me forever to get my limno A. to stay in the substrate when I trim it, I've just hacked it back completely to try and reduce the trimming.

Someone just wanted to be an indie hipster haha

I've found thinner stems plant better then thicker ones. eg. It takes me forever to get my limno A. to stay in the substrate when I trim it, I've just hacked it back completely to try and reduce the trimming.

I'm thinking it's the little swords used for appetizers or maybe spillover from another hobby.
+1 on big stems not staying in place. I got some huge limno aromatica from thumper828 and the thick stems floated like styrofoam. Had to cut them down to size before planting.

Thanks guys! This discussion will help me and any other person who reads this thread who may be in my shoes!
So a slight update? Maybe? Idk but anyway I'm doing my best attempt at not makin the same mistake some new to high techs make.
Ive upped co2 a lot since being skittish on co2 output seems to be the origin of most planted tank issues.
And in doing that I've also brought up the red and blue spectrum of my current sat pro to 50% along with pps pro standard dosing.

I'm thinking it's the little swords used for appetizers or maybe spillover from another hobby.
+1 on big stems not staying in place. I got some huge limno aromatica from thumper828 and the thick stems floated like styrofoam. Had to cut them down to size before planting.

Ha! Yeah I have sword fights with my fish. Those tips are sharp!

I was in same same boat Bichir... Wanted to maximize co2 without gassing the fish.

Caleb

Ha! Yeah I have sword fights with my fish. Those tips are sharp!

I was in same same boat Bichir... Wanted to maximize co2 without gassing the fish.

Caleb

I can see balancing that alone is going to be challenging. Think a large part is ******slow****** acclimation.

Well it's good and bad update time...

I'll start with the bad and good mixed, no surviving AR, it melted and withered away a couple of days ago.
Only two stalks of ammania remain. Good news on the ammania however is the two surviving guys look healthy and are certainly trying to grow. I took them out to cut off the unhealthy tips and leaves and they had roots so that's nice.
Blyxa is making a nice comeback. I noticed Big roots already starting to form when I took it out to cut off dead and dying matter. Healthy looking green leaves are starting to appear in bigger form now so hopefully it'll start making its way back.
And one more bad news; diffuser broke. Had a small hole in it then when I went to remove the suction cup to clean it, it snapped in-two. Oh well, they're very cheap on slamazon, probably going to get a fluval, ain't heard nothin bad bout em compared to the Chinese knock offs. And no I'm not paying $140 for a diffuser ;)
In the silver lining part of this rain storm I will be heading down to persmart today to hopefully get some TC stuff. They had big ol' packs of staur repens which was nice and some other neat plants. Couldn't make it to the club meeting this month, too much band going on right now....
No pics as of today, not proud of her at the moment but I can see a rebound in the future hopefully!

Oh almost forgot, that banana plant I got went friggin nuts! Three huge lily pad lookin leaves are out now and it's sent out white roots into the substrate. It's also got stringy roots coming from the base of the plant.

Got a TC pack of downoi today, pics tonight!

To those still listening here's a few pics for yall...

Hmmm it seems to be missing something...ffffffeeeeesssssshhhhh

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Tank looks good! A little bit empty though. I would plant a couple big swords in the back to fill up all that space! If you don't want to spend money online go to your local smoker shop where they sell cigarette diffusers. Work great for diffusing Co2. A pack of 100 for $2.50 here. I swear, they produce bubbles so small that it's even better than any Fluval or Chinese diffuser on Amazon!!

Hmmm it seems to be missing something...ffffffeeeeesssssshhhhh

Ima get these guys to take on roots and start growing before I do that. Possibly in a couple weeks.
I'm just going to have to give in and set up a drip acclimation system for safer acclimation to co2....

Tank looks good! A little bit empty though. I would plant a couple big swords in the back to fill up all that space! If you don't want to spend money online go to your local smoker shop where they sell cigarette diffusers. Work great for diffusing Co2. A pack of 100 for $2.50 here. I swear, they produce bubbles so small that it's even better than any Fluval or Chinese diffuser on Amazon!!

Thanks! I'm just going to play the waiting game for now. Hopefully I can pick up some ammania bonsai at the next meeting, if I can go, and get the downoi to take off....

I do a 1 hour drip on most of my fish/inverts. Fragile fish like my kuhlies will get a 2 hour drip

I do a 1 hour drip on most of my fish/inverts. Fragile fish like my kuhlies will get a 2 hour drip

Ah ok. Still undecided on feesh choice, pretty much all over the place!
I am taking a liking to a very very basic (yet the most beautiful to me) form of Betta.

Looking smooth mannnnn it will fill in with time.

Caleb

Thanks! That's what I'm hopin for, gonna give it two weeks to really see if it'll start to take off.
Expecting melting of course from the switch but hopefully the high everything will help...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom