Brown fuzz on plants...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AW05

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
IMG_1477963913.848489.jpg
IMG_1477963938.511976.jpg

Few of my plants have started to get this brown fuzz on them, when I do a water change I can kinda rub some of it off but days later it's back... My snails don't seem to eat it off the plants.

Looks like diatoms maybe? Do u weekly water change?
What's your nitrate sitting at?
Any ferts?
How much light and for how long?
Been a while since u cleaned your filter?
Tanks size and stock?
Filter size?

Weekly water changes. Nitrate is at 0ppm. Ferts are flourish comprehensive (1 a week) and flourish tabs (twice a year) light is 1 t5 28 watt 4 foot daylight 10kk and 2- 34" t5 21 watt each flora sun zoo med bulbs. On a timer for 6 hours a day and I clean my filter about every 5 months (wash filters about every 2 to 3 water changes) filter is a marine land bio-wheel emperor 400. It's a 50 gallon long tank with only plants and 24 nierite snails.

So u use seachem excel at all? I tend to get diatoms in my Oscar tank because it gets light on the glass from a near by window or if my canister pipes get dirty.
Try turning off one of your lights for a week for 2 give everything a good clean and add some excel. Maybe go 2 smaller water changes per week for a few weeks also and it should hopefully clear up

I do use excel once a week when I add others. And I'll try that this tank is in my basement so other than the tank lights there is total darkness. Thanks

I do use excel once a week when I add others. And I'll try that this tank is in my basement so other than the tank lights there is total darkness. Thanks

Yea I'd say it's a combination of abit too much light and not enough ferts. Do u have many plants? I'd recommend dosing to recommended on the bottles. If the plants have unlimited up take of nutrients then the algae will starve.

Maybe like 6 total 3 different kinds

Back
Top Bottom