c02?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm no plant expert and somebody like rex can probably give you a better answer but to my knowledge it supplies the plants with carbon. As you increase the light levels you need to increase the other nutrient levels to keep everything balanced. Thats why with low light tanks you don't need CO2 but with highlight you do. All the nutrients have to be balanced or you'll end up with algae.

Once you get your lighting over ~3wpg the plants will be unable to utilize the nutrients in the water without CO2. All plants need carbon in various forms, but injecting the gas is the most practical way to get it into the water column. If you don't inject CO2 and have a higher light tank, as Todd2 mentions, you'll get an algae swamp.

Do a lot of research and ask a lot of questions before injecting CO2, because if your KH is not at least 4-6 degrees you can cause dangerous pH swings in your tank, and if you inject too much you can suffocate the fish.

Fun, huh? :D

J/K, not to scare you but there are a few tricks to it, understanding how it works makes it pretty simple to do.

im still trying to understand the whole process, but just don't get it all the way. so im still kinda scared to experiment with the home made c02 device. is there any setups you could buy at a lfs? my area of lfs does not have anything to aid in this.

A home made one will last about 2 week before it need to be replinished.
You can by a full system see link below if you want to.
Main things you need on a system is needle valve, and a regulator and a tank .
Jbj and milwaukee make some of the higher end models which are great but you can get a cheap single or dula gauge regulator

a DIY system can last longer than 2 weeks. 4 weeks is my average, and I know some that get 6 weeks before they have to trade out.

Back
Top Bottom