can you help with this

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blizowman1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I wanna know what plant this is my dad has it and its a small bunch and its roots are attach to a small piece of red rock almost looks like brick. now he has a bit of a algae problem its not half dead
img_1784628_0_abdf231b00927c67b6a1349e0e3c5b96.jpg
I know its a horrible pic but that's the best I could get with my phone. it looks like an anubious to me but im not sure

I wanna say it looks like anubias nana petite. Just rub that algae off for the time being.

img_1785215_0_85ccea8ad9562992038e68245792e1d1.jpg
img_1785215_1_f98aa5515cdbf813827d19d89cda60e6.jpg
img_1785215_2_d79945a54ee812a113e5e2cf204eac1c.jpg

here's a couple more pics of the algae ...what's BBA Im not sure what kind of lights ill find out tonight when I get off work. he just bought two bristle nose plecos will these take care of the algae...he's also cut back light time and started dosing excel

Judging from the other pics, it really looks like BBA to me. BBA stands for Black Brush Algae (or black beard algae), and is symptomatic of high light/low CO2 environments, although dissolved organic levels are also thought to contribute. Excel might help prevent the growth (depending on light levels), and can be directly applied to the algae via syringe (with the filters turned off) to 'spot treat' it. Let us know what kind of light you have, and we can help figure out how best to approach the issue.

It could be cyanobacteria too. BBA is more stringy while cyano will be sort of like a black mat. It'd hard to tell from the picture and looks like it could be both.

I've seen cyano 4 inches deep in a old guys tank who decided to stop doing water changes.

When is the last time you changed your light bulbs? And what are your parameters?

I've texted my dad and asked what kind of lights he has on his tank its a 72 g bowfront and I know its a dual t5ho fixture.....and when I checked his levels Saturday ammonia was 0 nitrite0 nitrates were at like 160 or higher. I tried to explain he needed to try and change about half of water out but he did about 15 gallons cause he's the one that got me into aquariums so its hard to get him to listen when I say something about it lol

Yah you are right nitrate at 160 is way too high. Algae is going to cover the tank soon.

I agree with you and would do a large water change, or several small water changes (if that makes things easier). Either way you go don't forget to let the new water out-gas and heat it up so you dont shock the fish.

Try to figure out why the nitrates are so high. So you can avoid an outbreak in the future. Over stocked? Inadequate filter? Over feeding? Not Cleaned Well?

Flag fish and Siamese algae eaters have been known to eat BBA, but I wouldn't add anything until u get the nitrates under control. You can also try to lessen the photo-peroid (time your lights are on) until the algae is under control. Ease up on the feeding too. Most fish can easily go a couple days without food.

Good Luck!

he said he has two 54w 10,000k t5ho on its. and if I had to guess id say it was from one water change a month and it only being 5 to maybe 10 gallons when its done but its a planted tank so he doesn't really vaccum it. he has a canister filter and a hang on the back filter running together on it. id say not good enough water changes and to many hrs of light making a good build up for algae

I know he has two angel fish, two pearl gouramis, a female and male sword tail, three clown loaches, another loach that looks like a small eel, maybe six or seven mollies( that includes babys) two tiny baby bristlenose plecos, and id say four black tetras in this 72 g bow front with id say 10 to 15 plants two airstones and some driftwood

10k light is more for reef tanks. Most people use 6500k light for planted tanks.

I'll let someone else with more experience give you advice on how much lighting & c02 you need with your plants and fish. I am still learning how to balance all of these things myself.

Back
Top Bottom