Can't get the right balance!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sallyjano

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Things with my first planted venture are still not going well. I don't know what the problem is - too much or too little of something but struggling to figure out what! Please help.....

Here's all my info:

Tank: 60g long so 24" high.
Substrate: smallish sized gravel.
Light: 2x54w T5HO light fixture plus 2x15w T8s. T5HO light is about 1 inch above tank, gravel 2-3 inches so around 22-23" to substrate.
Dosing: Glut - 8ml daily (I am slowly increasing it, planning on getting to 10ml), PPS Pro at standard amounts. Been dosing about a week and a half.
Plants: hygras, star grass, java moss, pelia, anubias, java ferns, vals, crypt balanse var.

The problem I was having: BBA, GHA (maybe staghorn not sure), older leaves getting brown spots which turned into holes.

Remedy: Reduced photoperiod to 5-6 hrs (with 3 hour break in the middle). I got PPS Pro ferts and started increasing glut suspecting lack of both ferts and glut.

Update: STILL not going well. I know it's only been about 1.5 weeks since I made this change but it looks to me like things are getting worse. Not the algae - I am getting that under control but the plants are in poor shape. Here are the problems:

Hygras - slow growth, not getting the brown pin holes any more but now the newer growth is getting melted holes in it and some new leaves are growing curly, plus many leaves are brown.

Java Fern - leaves going brown all over (rhizome is NOT covered - they are on driftwood)

Anubias - looking sad and holes in the tips.

Star grass - no growth at all. I think I just don't have enough light for that plant because of the depth of my tank.

Vals - they are actually sending out runners now and I'm getting new shoots but they all still have the 'broken glass' look that I think is melting from the glut?

Java moss - doing great!!! The only thing in the tank doing great!!

Can anyone make a suggestion? Do I just need to give the PPS pro more time? Or does it sound like something is wrong? If so what?

Sorry for all the continued questions..........:confused:

Increase the glut.. big time.. with that light you should be doing at leastttttt 20 ml daily, I dose 15ml daily in my 20 tall.. shrimp and snails and rams are all still kicking
Edit- what's your wc routine? Are you using root tabs?
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited:
Increase the glut.. big time.. with that light you should be doing at leastttttt 20 ml daily, I dose 15ml daily in my 20 tall.. shrimp and snails and rams are all still kicking

Wow OK! I know others dose much higher but I just assumed that was for higher light than my meagre 35-40 PAR.

But if you say so.....I will.

I'll start doing 20ml as of today!

One question though (there's always a new Q!!).

Why does seachem say 6ml a day for my tank if you need so much more? I would have thought they'd be happy to make people use more so they sell more!! (FYI I have Metricide 14 for when it runs out......).

Edit- what's your wc routine? Are you using root tabs?
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app[/QUOTE]

WC - 40% weekly
Root tabs - yes

To give you an idea on your glut dosing.

I dose 10ml excel daily in my 20g tank and i use pressurised co2.

You have a tank 3 times the size and use less glut. This is your only carbon source so it needs beefing up

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

To give you an idea on your glut dosing.

I dose 10ml excel daily in my 20g tank and i use pressurised co2.

You have a tank 3 times the size and use less glut. This is your only carbon source so it needs beefing up

Glut AND pressurized? I didn't realize people did both! Why would you do both? Doesn't the pressurized give you all you need in a tank?

Ya I dose 30 ml of straight metricide 14 in my 58 gallon tank every morning

Yes glut is used as an algaecide. I think the majority of people using pressurised are also dosing glut too

Ya I dose 30 ml of straight metricide 14 in my 58 gallon tank every morning

WOW. So that's 1ml for every gallon if Excel strength.

Question: I know people have said it does not kill or harm the fish. But how do we know it's not painful or a miserable experience for them? A daily dose of a pepper spray would not kill me......but I don't think it would make life fun for me!

Except metricide is twice as strong as excell. I would think the fish would let us know if it harmed them by their behavior. When I dose mine in the mornings my two angels come up to the top and swim around in it. I have never seen ill effects after dosing and my plants are greener and growing better than ever.

WOW. So that's 1ml for every gallon if Excel strength.

Question: I know people have said it does not kill or harm the fish. But how do we know it's not painful or a miserable experience for them? A daily dose of a pepper spray would not kill me......but I don't think it would make life fun for me!

I'll try to get a vid of my apisto taking 30 ml of straight metricide to his face, if I didn't know any better I'd say he likes it..

I'll try to get a vid of my apisto taking 30 ml of straight metricide to his face, if I didn't know any better I'd say he likes it..

It just seems so weird to me. Can't understand how them getting hospital grade disinfectant through their gills is not a problem, but hey I am going to quit trying to figure it out and just accept that it's OK!

It's a bummer as my vals have JUST started growing and I guess they will melt again but here goes......

20ml of excel this AM. Check. PPS PRO dose. Check.

These plants had better start growing well now!!

Have faith sally! I'm pretty sure its only med grade disinfectant when the activator is added.. we all throw away the activator..

Have faith sally! I'm pretty sure its only med grade disinfectant when the activator is added.. we all throw away the activator..

Thx for double checking re the activator but yes I know that part.

I have faith!! I WILL have a beautiful planted tank!! Someday.....hopefully soon :brows:

PS.....Brookster you've helped me A LOT on numerous posts. I appreciate your continued help and patience with me!

PS.....Brookster you've helped me A LOT on numerous posts. I appreciate your continued help and patience with me!

Anytime :D everyone deserves a sweet bleep tank!!!!!

I think metricide only gets its sterilising properties once the activator is mixed.

The number next to the name, for example: metricide 14 or metricide 28. Is the time the solution will work as an effective steriliser

I think metricide only gets its sterilising properties once the activator is mixed.

The number next to the name, for example: metricide 14 or metricide 28. Is the time the solution will work as an effective steriliser

Ya that's what Brookster said too. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom