Carpet plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yao

Aquarium Advice Regular
Are Glosso and Lilaeopsis carpets hard to grow? I was also wondering about Ricca. Are they hard to grow? What do I need to have as substrate for them to hold on to? I'm not sure how any of it works... I know the lfs doesn't have anything like these plants, but I'm sure I could find some online. Any tips would be great! Thanks!

Glosso is notoriously difficult, and ricca is best anchored to driftwood or a large rock, not as a general carpet. You could always go with "poor man's Glosso"-Marsilea minuta. Will grow with less light, doesn't need co2, very tolerant of water conditions. Eco-complete planted aquarium substrate is a favorite around AA.

Hemianthus callitrichoides is a good and attractive foreground carpet plant. Glosso is pretty easy but you need high light, nutrient rich substrate,and CO2. If you have all these, glosso should flourish and make a attractive nice carpet in the foreground.

I dunno much about Hemianthus callitrichoides, but glosso is very demanding on light but when there is an adequate amount of light and CO2 it will grow easily.

I don't have high light or CO2 injection. What are some nice looking carpet/low plants that I would be able to grow? preferably something that can attach to driftwood. Also, my tank is 20 long, so does the fact that it's not as tall and the light doesn't have as far to go to reach the bottom mean I could grow medium light plants with an 18watt? I really like the way riccia looks, is it even possible for me to pursue that?

18 watts on a 20 gallon is not very much light, you should upgrade ur lighting. For plants attaching to driftwood, are anubias spp., java fern, java moss.

@Yao: I agree, the wpg rule is made for tanks like yours too and you have really really low light, riccia would just die. The best way would be to get a compact flourescent bulb over the tank. Just has to be like 35W or so. Look:

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=29595;category_id=1875;pcid1=1843;pcid2=

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=24049;category_id=1875;pcid1=1843;pcid2=

The first one gives you 2.9wpg-nearly high light, the second 2.3wpg-mediumlight, but you would also have to purchase a separate bulb for the second. It comes with 50/50 bulb and that's half actinic (saltwater) and useless for your tank.

Does it matter that these lights are 20" and my tank is 30" long? Also, if I have high light, and no CO2 injection, am I still able to grow most plants? (Riccia, specifically) If I upgrade to a larger tank (40 or 55 gal) later, would I be able to use these lights and just add another, or would I have to buy a whole new one for the larger tank? I currently have the Coralife F/W T-5 Aqualight Double Strip Light-30"

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=32847;category_id=1853;pcid1=1843;pcid2=

Would that become if I size up my tank?

i'm growing a patch of hemianthus callitrichoides--and so far i've had success (but it's early in the game. it's been in my tank for about a week and is still nice and green and lush, i've read that it's a slow grower however. i'll keep you posted on how easy it is.

Yao, if i'm not mistaken you have 2X18 watts. thats 36 watts over a 20gallon tank. Each of those lights is 18 watts.

Correct me if i'm wrong anyone...
but 1.8 wpg should be good for MOST plants, no?

I though I've read realier your tank is 20 long?! Well, just look at some other "longer" lights, but will propably have even more wpg that way.

As you move to medium light or over 2wpg it will be safer to add CO2 to the tank, if you don't want any algae. Still if you want any of those carpet plants, you will have to have higher light intensity. Otherwise you plants won't be staying small but grow towards the light quickly (no more carpet) or die.

Ah, I guess I better stay away from high light for now... I don't think I can really invest in CO2 or an ultra fancy light. Maybe when I get a bigger tank. I guess I should have clarified, I have a 20 gallon long tank, not a 20 inch long tank. It's as tall as a 10 gallon, twice the length. Keep me posted on low light non-CO2 carpet plants though... :D

Well the cost of a DIY CO2 System is nominal. But if you don't want to you don't have to.I don't really know any carpet plants who thrive in low light. But keep in mind since they are "carpet" plants they tend to need alot of light since they grow on the bottom where the light isn't as stong as to when it came in the water. So either you upgrade lighting and add CO2 or don't get any carpet plants at all but get other foreground plant such as cryptocoryne sp.

Is it really complicated to make a DIY CO2 system? I feel like I would screw it up somehow. Also would I have to refill all the time..? How does it work?

You add yeast to a water/sugar solution in a 2L soda bottle, which the cap is connected to airline tubing and into some sort of diffuser.Simple as that and c'mon I am 13 and I could do it LOL.

I had it on my 70gal before. One time it didn't start working at all, second time it was exausted already in a day, then I recognized that their was an air leak somewhere...

I would take the Hagen Natural CO2 Kit. You refill it every month and if you don't get enough CO2 diffused with the passive diffusor it comes with you can built a power diffusor with airline in a gravel vacuum tube and a powerhead so the water gets forced to the CO2. That was not possible for my 70gal, cuz the tank size would have needed about 4 of these setups, so I got pressurised. DIY works fine for some people though.

Back
Top Bottom