Cleaning plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

henry1245

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all,

Some of my plants have built up some algae on the leaves - what's the best way to clean them? (will I have to remove them from the tank to do so?)

Thanks!
Henry

Hi all,

Some of my plants have built up some algae on the leaves - what's the best way to clean them? (will I have to remove them from the tank to do so?)

Thanks!
Henry

I use a brand new, soft bristle toothbrush on mine and just cradle the leaf I'm cleaning in the palm of one hand and brush. I start out gentle and adjust as needed and no, IMO you shouldn't remove the plants.

That's great thanks... It's only the top few leaves so would I be best to do it whilst I do a PWC in order to get a better handle on them?

That's great thanks... It's only the top few leaves so would I be best to do it whilst I do a PWC in order to get a better handle on them?

Yep, that's what I do.

But if I want to get to one I missed during a PWC, I just scoop a couple gallons out and hold it in a bucket, scrub and add the water back.

If you have goldfish they may want a their backs scratched like mine do, but avoid the temptation since their body slime is delicate :lol:.

In my opinion, it's best to just leave them and treat the issue. If you don't treat the issue, the algae will just keep coming back. You can also get some snails and algae eater fish to take care of it. Like Jon sad, all based on the type of algae.

I had a huge algae problem so I went and bought 2 flying fox fish and in 24 hours absolutely no algae I've never seen any fish work that fast they are my new favorite fish

If you want to add something to clean you plants/tank and enjoy watching, AES (amano) are great shrimp. Just be careful if you have bigger fish that might eat them lol.

The flying Fox looks kinda like an oto, gonna have to check them out.

Mr. Limpet said:
If you want to add something to clean you plants/tank and enjoy watching, AES (amano) are great shrimp. Just be careful if you have bigger fish that might eat them lol.

The flying Fox looks kinda like an oto, gonna have to check them out.

Flying foxes rule they are the king of eating algae

i have two SAE and an Oto cat to do the job and if they get tired
i got a BN pleco to finish up the rest

I have some what looks like black algae on my anubais nana but my oto's aren't going after it should I try the toothbrush method?

It doesn't look like any of those pictures it looks like black dots almost like pen or marker on it

I had an algae outbreak in my 100g. I have about 30 Anubias and a brazillian sword that were all covered in algae. I got 3 Chinese algae eaters for 5 bucks and in 24 hours everything was clean. Even my gravel lol

Back
Top Bottom