Common sources for potassium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peyton

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I ordered some potassium sulfate from greg watson but I will be out of flourish potassium before it arrives. What would be a good source for potassium that I could find in a drug store or some other retail store. I have read that lite salt is potassium chloride. Would that be ok?

If it will only be a couple days thne I doubt you will run out potassium enough to hurt your plants. No Salt I believe is the potassium chloride and should work if you need a substitute til you get the other.

yeah, the commercial salt substitute No Salt is potassium chloride. it can be a pain to dissolve in water though, unless you heat the water first (then of course, let it cool).

honestly if you've already ordered from greg, I'd just wait for the ferts to arrive.

FWIW, I use KCl as "sodium free water softener" and it dissolves easily after dry dosing in the tank. I drop nuggets and its dissolved after maybe 10 minutes. Neither shrimp nor fish pick at it.

If you're dosing Seachem's Nitrogen you're adding more K than N per the published percentages of solution, and you're probably already hitting your minimum K target. When you start dosing KNO3 regularly you'll likely also hit the minimum K target. The desire to dose excess K is mostly from collective anecdotal experience/observation that it increases plant health.

As said you'll be okay missing K for a few days though.

I have a pretty heavy bioload so I have only had to dose N one time after a huge water change. It has stayed at 20ppm for about 2 weeks now. I am having to dose PO4 every other day using flourish phosphorus though. I"ll be getting my order from greg by friday, however by that time it will be 5 days without K. I went ahead and bought some nosalt just to be on the safe side. Better to error on the side of caution. Thanks for the replies.

Back
Top Bottom