Coralife Colormax bulb combo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Philly33

Aquarium Advice Freak
Has anyone used this bulb in combination with others? If so, please advise your combinations?

Thank you

I'm currently running 3 bulbs- 6,700, colormax, Aquaflora front to back. Any thoughts?

The colormax bulb is meant to make objects appear pleasing to the eye. It will do very little for plant growth.

The colormax bulb is meant to make objects appear pleasing to the eye. It will do very little for plant growth.

Their spectrums are very similar to 'plant' bulbs like an aquaflora. They'll grow plants fine, although they may wash out greens/yellows, so I would advice using them with something in the 6700K region.

Their spectrums are very similar to 'plant' bulbs like an aquaflora. They'll grow plants fine, although they may wash out greens/yellows, so I would advice using them with something in the 6700K region.
I have to respectfully disagree. While I am not positive of their K, I know they don't grow plants very well(speaking from my personal experience) I had one in a T-5 NO light, and the plants didn't do well. Once I switched it our for a 6700K, the plants took off. Nothing else was changed in the tank except the light. Once again this is my personal opinion from my experience with them.

6,700x colormax x aquaflora looks ok to me

Attachments

• image-2725374490.jpg
    image-2725374490.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 107
Zoomed Flora Sun vs Coralife Colormax.

adinfo-74819-spectrum-graph.gif

adinfo_florasun.jpg

They are remarkably similar. Colormax has more red/blue, which is the wavelength that plants utilize (green/yellow is largely reflected).

A good combo would be 2 geisman midday with a roseatte bulb for your setup. There a very quality bulb and have a good wavelength.

I've done the midday, nice bulb but I like the look of other 6,700k bulbs.

I personally like a crisper color in the life glo or coralife. There is a subtle difference that I prefer.

Kind of. Temperature is a term that doesn't really mean much; spectrum is much more relevant to the topic at hand. Giesemann Midday bulbs have more emissions in the yellow-green range than other 6700-6000K bulbs, which generally have more discreet emissions in the yellow-green area.

They are great but I prefer less yellow with my current combo. Im trying to balance plants and bring out the colors in my Signifer Rainbows and Ember tetras. The colormax seems to be helping w/o compromising plant growth with the aqua flora and 6,700

Oh ok so are the midday bulbs as good as everyone says or are they overrated?

Complicated question. A lot of it comes down to personal aesthetics. Some people like a yellower tank. Both of Giesemann's FW bulbs are much 'warmer' than others on the market and use broader peak phosphors in their bulbs, so they tend to have better colors. They also, interestingly, have a well earned reputation for bringing out better coloration in non-red plants.

They're good bulbs, but I think that in many cases $10 Zoomed/GE bulbs would be just as good. However, in certain situations, they are far and away better than other bulbs.

Back
Top Bottom