Cotton in plant pots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KuhliCray

Aquarium Advice Regular
You know the cotton that plants come in from the LFS? Well... I accidentally scattered it everywhere in the tank. I picked up all the pieces I could, but now there is a bit on the bottom that cannot be gravel vaccumed that has been driving me nuts for weeks. Is there a way I can make it dissolve faster? Thanks!
EDIT:
Don't want to make a new post, but what is a good way to boost java moss growth without ferts? I have some stuffed in driftwood and it has not grown at all. I think it may be dead, but I can't remove it because it's stuck. So if there is a possibility that it's alive, I need a way. Thanks again!

The stuff in the plants is called rock wool. Perhaps a web surf will answer your questions. Sometimes the hardest part is not knowing what it’s called.

The stuff in the plants is called rock wool. Perhaps a web surf will answer your questions. Sometimes the hardest part is not knowing what it’s called.

I looked it up, and from what I've seen, people grow it with water, so I'm assuming that it won't dissolve. Is there a way maybe I can make my siphon strong enough to remove the rock wool?

You might try stirring up the water a bit to dislodge the rock wool. Easier to siphon or net while in the open water.
Moss is slow growing for the most part. Give it some time. It grows (slowly) in my shrimp tank with no fertilizers. You could try increasing the lighting but this may encourage algae growth as well.

You might try stirring up the water a bit to dislodge the rock wool. Easier to siphon or net while in the open water.
Moss is slow growing for the most part. Give it some time. It grows (slowly) in my shrimp tank with no fertilizers. You could try increasing the lighting but this may encourage algae growth as well.

Okay thanks! I'll give you an update when I do my water change for the week.

You know the cotton that plants come in from the LFS? Well... I accidentally scattered it everywhere in the tank. I picked up all the pieces I could, but now there is a bit on the bottom that cannot be gravel vaccumed that has been driving me nuts for weeks. Is there a way I can make it dissolve faster? Thanks!
EDIT:
Don't want to make a new post, but what is a good way to boost java moss growth without ferts? I have some stuffed in driftwood and it has not grown at all. I think it may be dead, but I can't remove it because it's stuck. So if there is a possibility that it's alive, I need a way. Thanks again!

I have a set of aquarium tools, they are Stainless steel and are about 10.5 inches long

less than $15 great for something like this and planting plants in general

"Amazon.com Aqaurium Tool Set reference"

Since your drfitwood is stuck in the scape....(maybe I read that wrong and the moss is stuck.. if its the moss just dig it out and follow the instruction below but take your driftwood out and let it dry)
If you can... You can drain your tank passed some of the spots you want to put java moss you can use crazy glue GEL.. to attach. You drain tank, and pat dry the areas you want to apply the moss. Fry it as best as you can, it will not be bone dry but should still work.

Ensure your moss has been dries well. Squeeze between paper towels is what i do. Take a pinch of moss apply crazy glue to the log spots that are prepped semi dry. Repeat ... Put as many spots together 1/2 inch to and inch apart as you can let dry 15 minutes and refill tank

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom