Crypts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aces11

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just got home with some crypts as I was told at the store that they're some of the only plants that would work with my low lighting. Can anyone give me some basic info about them? Growth rate, specific needs, etc.

What kind of crypts are they? Their requirements vary.

Most are low to medium light plants. They grow slow to moderate, depending on other factors (lights, nutrients, etc).

There are a lot of options out there for low light plants. I actually prefer medium light for most crypts as they seem to respond better.

What size tank and what kind of light do you have? Answers to those questions will help us ascertain whether they may or may not be a good fit for your tank.

Another thing, crypts can be susceptible to "melt", especially when moving them from a tank with 1 set of water parameters to another tank. The leaves may melt away and die off. So long as you have enough light and minimal nutrients, they will come back, so don't toss the roots if this happens to you. There is no real consensus as to what exactly causes it - and no real predictor. I have seen it happen a few times, but usually they do just fine. Luck of the draw I guess.

A great plant! I have mine in a tank well below 1 wpg (32 watts in a 75gal) and they grew! Just be patient, I dose excel and flourish comprehensive.

It's a good plant to have in low-medium light set ups. They seem to better with root tabs, mine perked up a lot after I put them in the substrate.

It's a good plant to have in low-medium light set ups. They seem to better with root tabs, mine perked up a lot after I put them in the substrate.

Oops ... Forgot to mention the root tabs, though I do tabs more for my swords, I'm certain my crypts appreciate them.

I have a T8 15w bulb. The little tab just says cryptocoryne assorted Asian. I didn't get any ferts just yet as I have a pretty well stocked tank. What do they look like when they melt just so I know what to look for? I'll post a pic of my plants as well so maybe you can help me id them. Sorry my fish are in them all. Will the fish eat the plants? I cant tell if they're nibbling the plants or the algae on them.

Attachments

• image-4099694726.jpg
    image-4099694726.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 112
  • image-1837593392.jpg
    image-1837593392.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 121
  • image-3288190311.jpg
    image-3288190311.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 123
In my experience, they will respond some to root tabs but I think liquid fert in the water column is more beneficial. Swords seem to be heavier root feeders than crypts.

Your fish won't eat the healthy stuff. If they melt the leaves will turn yellow and then clear, and rot away. It will be obvious if it happens.

Also, what is the long leaved plant behind your crypts? It looks like it could be Ophiopogon japonica which is non-aquatic.

Last edited:
fort384 said:
Your fish won't eat the healthy stuff. If they melt the leaves will turn yellow and then clear, and rot away. It will be obvious if it happens.

Thanks. These are my first live plants so I'm hoping they do ok.

All my other plants are plastic except the crypts so don't worry.
So can anyone tell me what kind of crypts they are? Also do they look healthy?

Yes, they look healthy. They look to be Cryptocoryne walkeri or something similar. Should do fine in low light.

LOL glad to hear the others are fake plants - cause those didn't look aquatic so I was worried :)

fort384 said:
Yes, they look healthy. They look to be Cryptocoryne walkeri or something similar. Should do fine in low light.

LOL glad to hear the others are fake plants - cause those didn't look aquatic so I was worried :)

Thanks for the reassurance :) Like I said these are my first live plants so I'm pretty excited. How big will these crypts get? Will they even grow anymore?

they will grow some more, but not much more. Several of those leaves look as if they have reached maturity. If the environment is healthy they will produce more leaves and become thicker.

Ok. I'm happy with the size they're at, I was just curious and I'm trying to learn as much as I can.

Also, are they any good at absorbing nitrate?

not really - I mean they will use it, but crypts are not fast growers, so they aren't gonna soak it up quickly.

Ok. What are some other types of low-light beginner plants that might absorb them better then?

If you are looking for a nitrate sponge, pick up some hornwort.

Most low light plants are slow growers, so they just don't soak up a ton of nitrates. Hornwort is the exception.

fort384 said:
If you are looking for a nitrate sponge, pick up some hornwort.

Most low light plants are slow growers, so they just don't soak up a ton of nitrates. Hornwort is the exception.

I'll try to find some. I read that it floats. Is it possible to keep it in the substrate ?

Hyrophila Polysperma is on the federal noxious weed list. To my knowledge, it's sale and distribution is illegal in the states (or at least some states).

aqua_chem said:
Hyrophila Polysperma is on the federal noxious weed list. To my knowledge, it's sale and distribution is illegal in the states (or at least some states).

What's the common name of that plant? Are anacharis low light plants?

Back
Top Bottom