Diary of the 75G planted tank.... New pics 6/26/06

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
kaz said:
fish condums anyone?

hehehe, I like that one..... (y)

Tiffi said:
I would try to get rid of the ick in the 75gal first before messing with the filter material. Otherwise, you could definitely transfer ick. Get rid of it first and you can hook up the filter of the 29gal to the 75gal tank.

True, but my Bolivians are already living in an ick environment already. So I don't think it would be any different moving them and the filter media to the other tank and maintain the higher temps for a couple weeks to make sure any ick transferred is dead.

True, but my Bolivians are already living in an ick environment already

Yes, I forgot about that. IMO it would be fine to transfer the bolivians and the filter material. I would still be careful with their health, because of all the stress caused by the ick, the higher temp., moving them, and laying eggs.

Got a couple more pics here, now that the greenwater is gone....

75g223.jpg

75g224.jpg

75g225.jpg

Here's my roseline with ick.. You can tell I only have a mild case, and it should go away shortly.
75g226.jpg

i used salt in the early stages of ick in my 20 gallon planted and it got rid of it quickly if u find it early so why dont you try salt if u havent already?

nitrous said:
i used salt in the early stages of ick in my 20 gallon planted and it got rid of it quickly if u find it early so why dont you try salt if u havent already?

I just don't want to take any chances with the plants. they are looking so good now.

Well, I just got some more pics to post. My Bolivians were feeling a bit neglected as of late, so they colored up for a photo-op tonight. Hope you like them....

The big male. just under 3 inches now, not including the tail.
75g237.jpg

The big male with the female.
75g238.jpg

The small male, still just under 2 1/2 inches. The big male's growth has boomed, and the other male seems to have stopped.
75g239.jpg

The big male again...
75g240.jpg

The big male again...
75g241.jpg

The small male....
75g242.jpg

The big male again...
75g243.jpg

All I can say is WOW! They must certainly did color up for you. Just look at the bottom pic; the blue flecks in the anal fin and caudal fins are spectacular. We won't even discuss the red highlights in the dorsal, ventral and caudal fins. (y)

And look how beautifly shaped the tail is in the last pic, with the extentions on the top and bottom, as well as on the back of the dorsal fin. As well as in the pic of the pair as well.

I have one that colors up pretty nicely at times, but nowhere near the gold/yellow coloring your has. I'm jealous....Ram Envy! lol

maxwell1295 said:
I have one that colors up pretty nicely at times, but nowhere near the gold/yellow coloring your has. I'm jealous....Ram Envy! lol

What size is yours? I think it all comes with age. Mine's about 3 inches, not including the tail, and almost 2 1/2 inches from back to belly. I've had him about a year and a half. :)

I have 3 in my main tank now. I tried separating them to lessen the aggression, but no matter which 2 Rams I put together, somebody is getting chased. I just decided to put them all in one tank. Now one fish bullies the other two, but they seem to be okay. The weird thing is that they never bother any other fish. I've only seen Bolivians harass other Bolivians. Other than that, they are about as peaceful a fish as i've come across.

Yes, they are peaceful. I love my 3 that I have. Occasionally the big guy will harass the smaller male, but it's not too much. And they get along perfectly with my 4 GBR's as well. The only fish the GBR's will pick on is other GBR's, lol. Get along great with the other fish. And the baby boy GBR, well, he thinks he owns all the real estate, lol. And when feeding time comes and another fish starts eating first, he chases them away and starts eating, lol. Other than that, very peaceful bunch of fish.

Now, do you know if any are males or females? You will definitely know when you get a pair, they are near inseparable. and the 3rd bolivian will only be chased away during spawning, but when not spawning and the eggs or fry are gone, they all get along again.

Well, I came home from work and caught these guys in the act, lol. These are the actual colors, no editing was done other than sizing. Now this was the baby female, the baby male, and a larger male.

75g256.jpg

75g257.jpg

75g258.jpg

75g259.jpg

75g260.jpg

75g261.jpg

75g262.jpg

75g263.jpg

75g264.jpg

75g265.jpg

75g266.jpg

75g267.jpg

Sweet!

Man those are some pretty fish! I am thinking about getting some rams for my tank. They had some at the LFS that NEAPS met at today. One of the members bought a pair; I was debating getting some my self but decided to hold off.

Well, I think that was all mating ritual they were doing, lol. The GBR's. lol Now the female has a hole dug by the anacharis. Might be ready to drop eggs soon. Will keep you informed. :)

Edit:
She is laying eggs. Right by the front glass and I am now watching both the male and female in action. :)

Edit:
Here's the pics of the 2 GBR's laying eggs and fertalizing them. I didn't realize such a small female could lay so many eggs, lol. Looks like a couple hundred, lol.

75g268.jpg

75g269.jpg

75g270.jpg

75g271.jpg

75g272.jpg

75g273.jpg

75g274.jpg

75g275.jpg

75g276.jpg

75g277.jpg

75g278.jpg

75g279.jpg

75g280.jpg

75g281.jpg

75g282.jpg

75g283.jpg

75g284.jpg

in that last shot it sure looks like he is the one keeping an eye on you... I know it's difficult, but try not to pry too much. I'd hate to see what happened to me happen to you.
Unless Perhaps, with luck, you already stare at them incessantly.... they may ignore you, but since they have babes, it may be distressing to them... Just beware. And remind them of what wonderful parents they are and how proud of them you are. :)

Back
Top Bottom