Discus tank plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rlederer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've not had much luck with plants in discus tanks, presumably because the water is 86 degrees, I guess. Can anyone suggest plants and/or plant suppliers for discus tanks? Thanks

These are all warm water plants for discus tanks. https://www.aquariumplants.com/Warm-Water-Discus-Plants-s/20.htm

The addition of root tabs and fert dosing is a must. Are you running a standard light fixture? If so its best to go for the low light plants like Java fern, Amazon swords, anubias, bacopa, hygrophila, crypt varietys.

You'll need a full set of ferts either PPS pro or the seachem line. Some co2 booster will also aid in plant growth :)

Hope I've helped

That is helpful, thank you. I haven't done any fertilization except for Excel, but that's apparently not enough, so thanks for the advice.

I have to say, though, that I dealt with Aquariumplants.com a couple of years ago and was extremely dissatisfied. They are a shoddy operation at best - check their reviews on the web and the complaints against them filed with the Better Business Bureau.

That is helpful, thank you. I haven't done any fertilization except for Excel, but that's apparently not enough, so thanks for the advice.

I have to say, though, that I dealt with Aquariumplants.com a couple of years ago and was extremely dissatisfied. They are a shoddy operation at best - check their reviews on the web and the complaints against them filed with the Better Business Bureau.

Yea that's all good I'd just use the info there to give u an idea on what's suitable for you and then buy else where :) most plants should do fine in the warmer water. It's more the fertilisers you will need to focus on. U want a fertilizer that will supply u with N P K (nitrogen, phosphate, potassium) and a fert that will supply iron. The excel is just liquid carbon so it is designed to increase the uptake of nutrients in your plants. If the N P K is not supplied then your plants will starv. The co2 makes this happen faster.

After 1 month of DIY pps-pro from NilocG, very pleased and relatively cheap as well. I think better value than flourish line, still using flourish Excel and DIY osmocote ± root tabs though.

I've ordered from PAC a few times. Pleased with the orders. I do like the plant catalog on their website. Great for identifying plants and for planning your next Scape.
Contrary to the review a few posts back, I've had positive experiences with that company (AP). My latest purchase were tissue culture carpet plants that were delayed a week in transit due to a blizzard. I contacted them and they offered to send replacements in case I was not satisfied with the plants' condition. Plants were fine; declined the offer.
To the OP, sorry, no experience to offer regarding warmer water plants.

Back
Top Bottom