do plants need to be acclimated?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tropicfishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
when you buy a plant or get one off someone and it gets shipped to you, do you need to acclimate the plant before adding it to your tank, like you would a fish? I never thought about it until my friend just ask me lol

I never acclimate plants. Just plant it. If needed, I might trim it a little before planting, if any dead leaves, etc.

For the most part no, however, if they are still cold from being shipped it's a good idea to let them come to room temperature before planting.

Lonewolfblue said:
I never acclimate plants. Just plant it. If needed, I might trim it a little before planting, if any dead leaves, etc.

LWB is dead on, IMHO.

Maybe trim the roots to spur growth, but most plants don't need any impetus to grow.

If you receive a Crypt or an Anubias, it won't hurt to trim the roots a bit. This will usually spur them to grow above-ground leaves. Most other plants will do well when firmly rooted. Take off any weights they may have been shipped with in any case.

Back
Top Bottom