do you guys use anything to hold down the plants you plant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raimeiken

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm just curious. Do you have to put anything on the plant or tie it down so it won't float? Or it wouldn't be a problem if you have a lot of subsrtae to hold it down?

Sometimes this is necessary with new plants, esp. bunches and individuals with poorly-established root systems. In this case, small lead weights (strips of lead) work well. I'd advise not using these for too long, as they may prevent your plants from growing if wrapped too tightly. Nonetheless, they are great for keeping down annoying floating plants! You can buy these at more or less every LFS out there, and the lead won't affect your plants or fish.

It really depends on the plant. Some stem plants require something to hold them down. Others need to be tied to rocks or driftwood until they root/grab hold, like java fern. Then there are other specialized plants such as Riccia, that must be tied or weighted forever. I could go on all day, now that I think about it. It's really best to research each plant before buying and planting, to be certain you are doing it properly.

I was able to tuck all my plants into the substrate...so I guess mine was deep enough. My java fern did worry me because it has no roots at all to tuck under. But so far it hasn't come out of where I put it into the substrate. Let's keep our fingers crossed. :)

I try to avoid the strips, but have to use them periodically with bunch type plants. I remove them after about 8 weeks usually.

Java fern should not be planted in the substrate, though if it simply lies on the gravel it will attach itself to the gravel. The rhizome (woody section between roots and leaves) should not be buried or the plant will die, so be sure it is above the substrate. Most people use cotton thread or something to tie it to a rock or driftwood and it will attach itself with its crampons (brown roots) by the time the thread rots. I have used rubber bands for this too, which also come apart and are removed later.

TankGirl said:
Java fern should not be planted in the substrate, though if it simply lies on the gravel it will attach itself to the gravel. The rhizome (woody section between roots and leaves) should not be buried or the plant will die, so be sure it is above the substrate. Most people use cotton thread or something to tie it to a rock or driftwood and it will attach itself with its crampons (brown roots) by the time the thread rots. I have used rubber bands for this too, which also come apart and are removed later.

good thing you told me that, because i was gonna plant them on my substrate 8O What about Java moss, can you plant that stuff straight on your substrate or do you have to tie it on a rock or wood?

Java moss is mainly floated, but people do tie it to things, to create that "lawn" effect, especially to driftwood. It will always float by itself, though.

What plants have you gotten?

i'm just planning evrything first.
That is going to make your life so much easier! An ounce of prevention equals a pound of cure, as I have learned over the years...

AquariumPlants.com has some plant anchors. They are rubber disk shaped doohickies with a slot in the center that grip the base of the bunch plants. Then you bury the thing in the gravel and it keeps the plants in place. They work well, but they are expensive for what they are.

Back
Top Bottom