Does osmacote work for plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ThatPlantedGuy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey I was wandering if osmacote plant fertz would work for a planted tank.

Thanks

Do you think I could just use it by itself instead of putting it in root tabs. If it is simple to make root tabs please tell me. It would be great!

It's super easy. To be honest if you do not already have gel caps to use what you do is freeze some in ice cubes and plant the cubes. Problem is with then being so small it's hard to get under substrate if you don't use caps or ice. With gel caps I just use tweezers and bury them all the way on bottom is substrate. You would do the same with ice cubes. Just get a normal size ice tray. Fill about half way with RO water and put some osmocote in each tray. Freeze then bury all the way bottom of substrate.

Key is getting then as far down as possible. Do not want them just sitting on top is substrate and fish think it's a snack and eats.

IMG_4031.jpg

It's super easy. To be honest if you do not already have gel caps to use what you do is freeze some in ice cubes and plant the cubes. Problem is with then being so small it's hard to get under substrate if you don't use caps or ice. With gel caps I just use tweezers and bury them all the way on bottom is substrate. You would do the same with ice cubes. Just get a normal size ice tray. Fill about half way with RO water and put some osmocote in each tray. Freeze then bury all the way bottom of substrate.

Key is getting then as far down as possible. Do not want them just sitting on top is substrate and fish think it's a snack and eats.

View attachment 297338
Where can I get gel caps from? Sorry, new to planted tanks.

Thanks

Thanks for the help!

Now Foods '00' Gel Capsules, 250 Count https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E40DJ82/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_3bR4ybNX5E5DP

Super easy to use. Just take cap off. Put some osmocote in and put cap back on. No need to fill each one could go about half per capsule. It's strong stuff so don't over do it.

Just a word of warning I had ammonia go spike up for a day. Not out of control but will go up a little. Just monitor and all should be good. Why I say bury them all the way down

Brendenscott, how often do you fertilize with these DIY tabs and is there a rule of how many sqaure inch of substrate area?

I make the homemade osmocoat + root tabs. I put mine about every 5-6 inches apart in the planted areas. I put some in back around Christmas and I'm due to put more in now. IMG_7790.jpg

All long the rear of the tank and around the rock where the rooted plants are located.

Brendenscott, how often do you fertilize with these DIY tabs and is there a rule of how many sqaure inch of substrate area?

Typically about every 4 or so months. You only need to place them under where your root feeders are planted. Typically no closer than 4"-6" between each tab. The stuff is pretty strong so no need to over do it. They do work really well though I promise you that.

Very good deal if you ask me. That would last you years.

found couple months back, the 200ct doesn't pull up on search for osmo, but for "aquarium root tabs". Folks on other forum give thumbs up for this product / seller... haven't ordered personally.

They do work but some of the "balls" don't disintegrate for some reason. I've been chasing these things down for a while. These have been in this tank a year at least......anyone else have this problem? Image1491438233.594015.jpg

They do work but some of the "balls" don't disintegrate for some reason. I've been chasing these things down for a while. These have been in this tank a year at least......anyone else have this problem? View attachment 297441

Don't even recognize it. None of my osmocote looked that white. You sure that's from osmocote?

Back
Top Bottom