Dwarf agassizi "cockatoo" cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kimlafeiet

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am in the process of moving my planted tank to a larger set-up, and am still considering options for fish. Currently I have 1 polka dot loach, 4 kuhli loaches, 1 female GBR, 1 pearl gourami, who may or may not stay in this setup, and 4 golden white clouds. I plan to increase my white cloud school, and add a few more kuhlis, but have been considering a pair of double red cockatoo cichlids. Does anyone have any experience with these? I hear they are plant friendly, and fairly peaceful as far as cichlids go. Would they do ok with my current stock? I am worried about the GBR, but she is fairly docile herself, and she can always go back to my community tank where she has spent most of her life thus far.
I dont want to get into cichlids, really, but I think these are a beautiful dwarf species, and would look lovely in my planted tank. Thoughts? I would love to hear from someone who has had these fish.

They are great little cichlids and are generally IMO the most peaceful or should I say less aggressive of the dwarf cichlids. I've never kept mine with other cichlids when I had them. I've kept two different species of dwarf cichlids together before but that was only in really big heavily planted tanks. It's really hard to say if the GBR will be safe or not. It will just depend on the temperament of all involved. If you do decide to get them just have a back up plan in case you need to remove the GBR female. Wish I could give you better advice but you have a 50/50 chance of it working.

They are great little cichlids and are generally IMO the most peaceful or should I say less aggressive of the dwarf cichlids. I've never kept mine with other cichlids when I had them. I've kept two different species of dwarf cichlids together before but that was only in really big heavily planted tanks. It's really hard to say if the GBR will be safe or not. It will just depend on the temperament of all involved. If you do decide to get them just have a back up plan in case you need to remove the GBR female. Wish I could give you better advice but you have a 50/50 chance of it working.

I second that it is all up to a 50/50 chance but my experience is that when I had my appistos with gbr they stayed out of each others way the appisto claimed the areas around caves etc. and the gbr claimed the big open area. When the appistos breed they are very territorial but gbr's aren't dumb fish and after being chased out of a certain area they won't keep trying so no biting should actually happen just a bit of chasing at the most! With plants and caves in the tank enough hiding places should keep them all happy as they won't be fighting over territory :) I'd deffinately give them a go they're loverly fish!

You should be fine but as mentioned, once breeding starts these little dwarfs can become quite aggressive little buggers. You should contact CommunityCichlid. Post this in the Dwarf Cichlids! Thread, he'd be more than happy to help.

Are you talking about Apistogramma Cacatuoides or Apistogramma agassizi? How big of a tank is this?

Agasizzi.
It's a 35 gallon, 30in (footprint of a 29).
I am not sure I am sold on the idea, but they sure are good looking fish. Would a pair be too big for a 30 inch tank?

Agasizzi.
It's a 35 gallon, 30in (footprint of a 29).
I am not sure I am sold on the idea, but they sure are good looking fish. Would a pair be too big for a 30 inch tank?

I had a trio of double reds in the 220g in the beginning with a bunch of young rams before I began splitting them up and let me tell you while that little male was not mean he ruled the tank and didn't hesitate to chase anyone who got in his way, even the angels. He never bite but he was fearless. They are very small compared to rams so a pair would fit quite easily. They are cave brooders so be sure to have some cave like structures.

Back
Top Bottom