Filter for 30 gallon planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bradalucas123

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Can someone suggest some filters for my new tank that i am going to be setting up the in the next couple weeks..................So far i know that i am going to have a aqualight 96watt cf light,shultz aquatic soil for substrate. This tank is going to be heavily planted, and i dont want something that is going to cause too much current so i was considering a cansiter filter. Any ideas are welcome.

Congrats on the nice start!
Remember that current is a decent thing for plants.. so long as it does not disurb the top of the water, the surface (distorting light passage). I have a whisper filter (I do not recommend this because whisper is eh, my dad bought it for me and threw away my aqua clear, I am still trying to forgive him...) and a penguin with a bio wheel, which again isn't necessary for a planted tank, and is actually not even suggested for planted tanks. If you want current inside the tank a small power head may actually be a good idea. :idea:
I hear fluval 204 isn't a bad idea for a 30 gallon tank... nor is an ehiem (sorry not sure which model) bad either (which is more expensive than a fluval but I hear its worth the money). I would love to have a canister filter but that terrible word called budget limits me currently. :cry:
Oh yeah before I forget, if you do use a canister filter, and combine it with a power filter... I hear people take out the carbon from it... not exactly sure why.. but something invovlving using CO2 and the such. SOrry this wasn't too specific I hope it leads to a better knwoledge of what you want.

Back
Top Bottom