First Planted Tank, Need Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pickles12807

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I recently set up my first aquarium, and was only planning on having anubias and a moss ball as far as live plants go, so I just have a sand substrate and the regular light that came with my aqueon hood, I believe it's 17w on a 20g long.

After setting it up and doing more research I decided that I really love the look of live plants, and really want more. My LFS just got a huge shipment of plants in, so I'm planning on checking them out this weekend, but was wondering what would do okay in my tank conditions?

I recently got some water wisteria, which is the only plant so far that is in the substrate. I ordered some Flourish root tabs that will be here tomorrow for it.

What other plants would be okay in low light with a sand substrate? Would I need to use liquid fertilizer, or would root tabs be fine?

A couple plants I've been looking at are anacharis and jungle val.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You could try java fern. Just make sure the rhizome isn't burried, same as the anubias. These will both benefit from liquid ferts.

Anacharis should work too.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Honestly, I still adore cambomba. People tell me it's a weed - but I can't help what I love. It'll grow no matter what you do :D

I have a java fern tied to a rock in there now, but I got it from one of those tubes at PetSmart so it doesn't look too good. My LFS posted a list of everything they got in, and I think I'm going to try another java fern and an anacharis.

Give the petsmart stuff time to adjust. Most of my plants are from there and they grow nice now.

Honestly, I still adore cambomba. People tell me it's a weed - but I can't help what I love. It'll grow no matter what you do :D

same here, just put some in all my tanks today.

As for plant suggestions all the above mentioned are good. Amazon swords will grow OK with low light and even without root tabs from my experience

I went to the LFS yesterday and ended up getting a jungle val and 2 bunches of anacharis. Does anybody have any tips on how to keep plants anchored in sand? I finally got them to stay, but I'm not sure how secure they are. I saw that they sell different types of plant anchors online, but I didn't know if they were any good and what type I'll be able to find locally.

Just give the roots time to grow. They should anchor themselves.

Back
Top Bottom