Floating plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Karackle

Aquarium Advice Freak
My 20 gallon tank has now been completely switched over from plastic plants to live plants EXCEPT there are 2 plastic plants that i have in the top corner of my tank that I hesitate to remove because some of my fish enjoy hiding in them. I don't mind them SO much, but i'd prefer live plants so my question is are there any plants that do well in low light conditions (i just have the standard fluorescent bulb that came with my 20 gallon's hood)?

Otherwise I can just wait until the grass gets taller i suppose.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance! :)

here's the tank as it looks now:

img_848538_0_1ca6883391cd11ef7a53580cc842320e.jpg

Those stems will eventually hit the top, but you can also float those plants. I float stem plants as my fish love to hide in them as well. They do a great job sucking up nutrients.

Good to know! So they'll survive if floated? I'd love to get the last of the plastic plants out of there! :)

Luckily most floating plants will do just fine even in lower light conditions since they're right by the lights. Some that I'd recommend looking at are Red Root Floater, Riccia, and Water Lettuce. There are lots of others out there, these are just a few I have experiance with.

I had some that was called water sprite and I loved it. It grew like crazy and the fish loved it... except that I had platys and the babies used the water sprite as a hiding place, so I was soon over run by platys. I liked the look of it though.

Hahaha....yeah, I have some live-bearers (assorted)....i'd be afraid of getting overrun with babies if it's really that good of a hiding spot! But thanks for the suggestion

Would the purple cabomba do well as a floater? The tank is kind of low light for it but I had extra from the 5 gallon, I'm wondering if it'd do better as a floater?

Back
Top Bottom