Freshwater tank with plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kitesurfjesus

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am in the process of setting up my new 55 gallon tank. Have a few questions. What is better to use as a base sand or gravel when using live plants? I was told by the people of percolate that using sand is harder during the water changing process because you will suck up the sand as opposed to rocks which won't be taken out during the cleaning process. Any advice or pros/cons to using either gravel or sand with live plants.

If your tank is decently planted you shouldn't be vacuuming the substrate anyway. You swish the water around to get the debris moving, then you're able to suck it all up.

You could use either, depending on your preference. Also, depending on your plant selection, you can use root tabs to enrich the substrate with nutrients.

Substrate is the sand/rocks? I have a 29 gallon with some plants in it. I used the fertilizer tabs to begin with and they are doing just fine..

Yeah, the substrate is your gravel/sand. My plants do fine in gravel, but the bigger the gravel, the harder it is to keep them in the substrate. Look for something finer. Small gravel, or sand even.

Back
Top Bottom