Gravel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

El chakas

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I want to start with plants. I currently have the regular gravel in most common aquariums... We'll that be ok? Or do I need sand or dirt?

I'm not planning on doing co2 yet as I'm just starting

You might be pro at getting plants to stay in gravel. I am not. I will flip tables if someone tells me it needs done. Sand is way easier to keep plants in.

Is it just for keeping the plants in there? Or does it effect growth and overall health?

I have an easier time getting plants to stay in sand. You'll want to see if you need to add any fertilizers, then decide on which kind based on whether your plants are mainly root or water column feeders.

Sword plants, for instance, are mainly root feeders and would benefit from root tabs-either big brand or made. If you check classifieds, you might find a couple or check eBay. Hornwort and other plants have an easier time pulling nutrients right from the water. Dose liquid ferts like API Leaf Zone or the like for them. Some of us do both because we have such a variety :)

I know it isn't to do with substrate, but have you decided on lights yet?

Oh, forgot to say that plants that spread by runners such as dwarf hairgrass and marislea minutiae will have an easier time spreading in sand. They tend to try to go around gravel if it's too big and if you're trying for a groundcover that won't be helpful :)

Thanks for the info maybe in the future I'll move into sand then.

As far as lights. I got a marine land LED light not exactly sure what model. It has white red and blue lights.

I looked for information about what spectrums it covers and couldn't find anything, not even on the manufacturer's website. :| I did read some reviews and I hope it does well for you :) If you haven't already decided on what plants to get, I really recommend research and sticking to medium to low light requirements. These will work better with that light and you'll be a bit less frustrated things aren't going like they should.

Thanks yeah I'm on a budget too so couldn't spend too much on light hopefully when I get the grasp on this I will upgrade lights and use co2. I'm making the transition from reef to freshwater planted. I got some plants and they have been growing quick hoping to add more soon! That little stem you see is two day growth! :)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1456043155.837844.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1456043167.459575.jpg

That does look good! It's going to be fantastic watching progress on this! Watch the bamboo, once it starts going squishy, remove it before it messes with water quality. Might be better served setting up a breeder box on the back filled with rocks and stick the bamboo in that. It isn't supposed to be fully immersed. I'd welcome the opportunity to Archer slap the person who started that trend.

Thanks for that info... I might just do that... Once I start getting plants that bamboo is going out ?

You can trim what you have now and plant it. Quite a few stem plants are like that. Pretty handy, since it lets you start with a few stems and wind up with a tank stuffed full.

I have only the small rounded natural gravel as my substrate in my 75 gal and the plants are doing pretty good. I need to trim the bacopia and wisteria or they grow along the surface and shade out the other plants. One of my swords already produced a daughter plant and is growing very nicely! I do supplement with flourish, flourish excel, and flourish iron as needed.
My lighting is the ecoxotic e-120 full spectrum 48-inch, I upgraded from the basic led that came with the tank and it has made a huge difference.

When setting up my tank I wish I would have gotten a different substrate, but I'm making the best with what I have and the plants are really doing well so I can't complain. I do have about a 1.5-2 inch deep bed of gravel which helps to be able to anchor the plants in and let their roots spread.

Thanks 2xecho I hope the same will do for me :). How did the regular led work for u? Any slow growth at the least?

At the time I had the basic LEDs, I only had bacopia, dwarf sag and cryptocorne in there.
Even with flourish, the bacopia was not happy :sad: It grew so slowly, the leaves were tiny...it looked pathetic -it reminded me of the Christmas tree Charlie Brown found in the classic Charlie Brown's Christmas movie. It was living, but not at all doing well. The dwarf sag grew slowly and wasn't very lush, but it was there and showed some progress. The cryptocorne did great:D- it was the greenest and even though it is not a fast grower naturally, it thrived in the low/medium light conditions.

The led that came with the tank was a Marineland Blue/White. Terrible light for that tank - it was about 8 inches or so short on each side and weak. Didn't even realize how bad it was until I got the new one.

Back
Top Bottom