Growing Plants Emersed in Preparation for Planting Large Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harry Muscle

Aquarium Advice Activist
My plans for a 112G (60" by 18") are coming along nicely and I'll probably be ready for planting within 3-4 months.

However a tank that size will cost me around $200-300 to fill heavily right from the start (a 55G cost me over $100 a few years ago).

My original plan was to go with the dry start method, which got me thinking, what if I started the dry start method now and ran it for the next 3-4 months. The only problem is that I can't do it in the actual tank, since it's not yet setup. So basically I'd be setting up an emersed growing setup and then transfering the plants to the tank once everything is ready. This way I'm hoping I could buy small quantity's of plants and grow them out myself.

Has anyone attempted something like this before? What would be the cheapest way to get this accomplished? I have a few spare lights I can use, but I'm wondering what I should use for containers and soil/gravel (with cheap being the goal since this is only temporary). Would this even make sense financially or would I be no further ahead?

Thanks,
Harry

My plans for a 112G (60" by 18") are coming along nicely and I'll probably be ready for planting within 3-4 months.

However a tank that size will cost me around $200-300 to fill heavily right from the start (a 55G cost me over $100 a few years ago).

My original plan was to go with the dry start method, which got me thinking, what if I started the dry start method now and ran it for the next 3-4 months. The only problem is that I can't do it in the actual tank, since it's not yet setup. So basically I'd be setting up an emersed growing setup and then transfering the plants to the tank once everything is ready. This way I'm hoping I could buy small quantity's of plants and grow them out myself.

Has anyone attempted something like this before? What would be the cheapest way to get this accomplished? I have a few spare lights I can use, but I'm wondering what I should use for containers and soil/gravel (with cheap being the goal since this is only temporary). Would this even make sense financially or would I be no further ahead?

Thanks,
Harry

I actually run a emersed setup...It's been running for about 3 months successfully. This is a great idea and is fact probably one of the fastest way to grow plants...It's extremely simple and cheap too and I did it without spending a penny using plants and materials I already had. Did I mention I do this all outdoors and I only have to spray it once a day?

This is what I used/what you will need:

A clear tub/tank that you will be big enough to hold a variety of plants.
I personally used a 3 gallon rimless scratched up tank.

Some type of soil (I had some miracle gro organic potting mix which is what I used)

Container of Clear plastic Cling wrap'

Some type of misting bottle

Optional:

Some type of plastic cups (Poke holes on the bottom of the cup) (This says optional but really to me it is a must to keep organized) and be able to tell plants apart because of a lot of emersed stem plants look very similar and you want to be able to tell the difference.

If you're using the plastic cup, you'll want to get some permanent markers for labeling the cups and varieties and stuff like that.

(LIghts if you want to do this indoors) (I live in Florida and my emersed setup is outside)

Osmocote plus + miracle gro shake and feed

If you are doing this outside then first select your container and place it somewhere where it gets a decent amount of sunlight (You don't want full blast) Then add some osmocote and miracle gro granules (This will really help out your big root feeders my crypts went from a couple leaves after melting to over 10 leaves within a week or two!) Next you want to label the cups the name of the plant variety you want to put in there, Do NOT MIX plants up because you will come to regret it (Trust me I know) Next mist all the dirt in the cups and make sure the soil is wet but NOT TOO WET..if it's too wet you will be growing all sorts of crap other than plants includiing spiders ugly mold and some weird web stuff... I know from experience.. I will actually be redoing my setup today to get rid of some of this stuff... I've heard spraying a mixture of flourish co2 with water will help get rid of some of the mold crap. AFter you do this plant the plants mist them quickly and apply the cling wrap you want the cling wrap to cover almost the whole top of the tank tightly but you want about an inch open for co2 exchange for the plants..When you add plants you will want to spray twice a day until the intial melt of the plant is over and you start seeing its emersed form..you can start spraying only daily from there. A common theme is to see plants have a huge die down and you think everything is dead but soon after the emersed plant begans to poke out. I planted 2 small cypts (3-4 leaves each). I thought both died as all the leaves shriveled. After a couple days I noticed that it was growing leaves! Within 2 weeks the crypts had tripled their original leaf and root system!!

Emersed setups are very simple and I hope what I said helps. Just know that they keys are to have lots of moisture but not too much. and HUMIDITY HUMIDITY AND HUMITIDY are the key points when you first add plants.. since they take time to adjust

Just out of curiosity, you mentioned your plants leaves died off when you started, do the leaves die off again when you transfer them back to full water eventually?

Just out of curiosity, you mentioned your plants leaves died off when you started, do the leaves die off again when you transfer them back to full water eventually?

Yep especially the crypts... this goes for most plants.

Why not use a large semi-clear tub(or several smaller tubs keeping plants separated) & begin growing your plants submersed?
With the time frame you have to work with why not?
This avoids the transition from emersed to submersed growth...
No need to go through the transition when you'd have readily available submersed growth ready to plant with..

sit in silence...

Back
Top Bottom