Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-24-2007, 12:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hard Water Plants...

When purchasing plants how can I tell which plants can tolerate hard water ?

I have hard water here .

Also , does it matter which kinda rocks/gravel I use for plants ?

How deep should it be ?

Old 02-24-2007, 02:06 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Unless you are going for something exotic (say Eriocaulons) most every plant is going to like harder water for the nutrients.
I was watching a DVD of one of the AGA conventions where Claus Christensen was talking about exploring aquatic plants in the Mato Grosso, Brazil. There he notes that most of the water is fed from natural springs and is very hard (above 10 dKh/Gh). He also notes that some few pools are rain fed only, and very soft. The spring fed pools have a greater variety and more robust growth of plants in general. He says that while some plants may live and do ok in the softer water, mostly due to lack of competition, that the hard water is where you find the most robust examples of any given species.

Old 02-24-2007, 02:25 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zezmo
Unless you are going for something exotic (say Eriocaulons) most every plant is going to like harder water for the nutrients.
I was watching a DVD of one of the AGA conventions where Claus Christensen was talking about exploring aquatic plants in the Mato Grosso, Brazil. There he notes that most of the water is fed from natural springs and is very hard (above 10 dKh/Gh). He also notes that some few pools are rain fed only, and very soft. The spring fed pools have a greater variety and more robust growth of plants in general. He says that while some plants may live and do ok in the softer water, mostly due to lack of competition, that the hard water is where you find the most robust examples of any given species.
so by your logic .. i should be ok with most kinds of plants ?
Old 02-24-2007, 03:06 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes
Old 02-24-2007, 03:22 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

look at Travis Simonson's plants. those are hard water i believe since he keeps them with african rift lake cichlids
Watch our thread! A MyCatsDrool and Travis Simonson Joint Production....55 Tanganyikan Tank. It is hidden in the photography showcase. It is really my tank, but Trav is helping and we live next door from each other...so....

CCTV Has shut its doors. Off the air.
5.5 gal ADA rimless cube, fully planted, killifish breeder. coming soon to a forum near you.
It's called Sex Panther, by Odeon. Illegal in 9 countries. Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good.
MyCatsDrool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 07:37 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zezmo
Yes
well i finally got my red sea co2 kit today .. how long shud i wait till i fire it up .. right now i have 3-5 java ferns , 1 ancharis , and a red ludwiga...

Tags
hard water, plant, plants, water plant

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com