Help me plant this Edge!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Killifish will eat shrimp. Had a friend who had a tank of $10 each shrimp and after a few months only one big one seemed to be smart enough not to be eaten/killed/torn apart.

Sundanio Axlerodi will eat some babies
Chilis Boraras Brigittae only ones I have had that didn't seem to bother the shrimp population
CPD, I have so many Shrimp, I can't tell, and 2 large BN Plecos who slurp up what ever gets in their way

Green Neons are beautiful and they too will eat a few.

If you get the tiny little fish, make sure to get a small kind of food, I use Hikari Micro Bites and smash/crush the bites between my finger and thumb so they are really small and the fish actually can eat them :flowers: The first few I had a couple died likely due to not getting enough to eat, after I figured out that they weren't able to get the bites into their mouth, and with the Chilis and CPD's they don't usually eat off the substrate but in the water.

I probably need to try some of that for my stupid picky Head and Tailights, they won't even look at the tiny 0.5mm New Life pellets, and are pretty "meh" about the Omega One flakes, no matter what size I crush them into.

But then again, they looooove the big shrimp pellets that are supposed to go down to the catfish, they'll carry them around til they disintegrate...

But anyway, back on topic, I figure that I'll try to get my shrimp population up and then whatever little fish I wind up getting can try their best to catch the babies.

Where do you get your nano fish? I know there's no stores that carry them (though I think maybe I can special order some stuff).

I got some from Severum Mama on here and some from some dude in the next state advertising on Craigs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Msjinxed dot com has been well praised though I have not purchased, though a couple friends have had good experiences. The two items I wanted didn't end up being in stock at the same time, I have emailed Rachel a couple times and asked questions and just ended up finding what I was looking for locally when both the things were not in stock. When they were I was out of fish fun money, so not her fault.

Oh one other thing...

To get the fish attention, sometimes they aren't paying attention. Drop in a couple of pellets in different areas wait about 5 minutes for them to realize there is food and think that they are hungry. Then slowly feed a little at a time.

I don't always have the patience, but that really helps get them to pay attention to the food.

Thanks for the suggestions! And I'll try that food thing, though I'm pretty sure my group prides itself in being as ornery as possible to me.

_________
Yelling into the tin can from the far end of the string

As an aside Mizjinxed Co-wrote a great book on freshwater nano fish. Of course now that I need the title I can't find the book. It's just a small book but covers plants and shrimp as well.

Ooo, I'll be sure to look into that... I love books...

_________
Yelling into the tin can from the far end of the string

Found it! "The 101 Best Freshwater Nano Species" by Mark Denaro and Rachel O'leary.

Huh, I was looking through the beginning of this thread and none of the pictures are showing up.

Anyway, I put in the heater and some more broken chollawood peices with Java Moss on them:

s661lNAwtxfj1s3KLHd4THFTHhcuBRMZEU_SEwhEdksLAYspN

Should probably move the sticks around a bit so they're not both going in the same direction. I found another rock that's black and white stripey that I broke into a bunch of little pieces, so that might get put in there as well. Also pulled the Anubias out of the current shrimp bowl and put it into the big tank to stage for coming into this tank (!) because there's a bunch of scuds and planaria and stuff in there that I'd like to at least try and slow down the spread of.

Hey that looks great, you have some nice color in the plants and the rocks contrast look good. You could make the Cholla look long like it broke in half. Still looks great now!

Well, in the short amount of time since I posted the last picture, I did this:

IMG_20141211_212040317.jpg

I kind of like your idea of the broken stick thing; might have to play with that tomorrow. Sort of thinking of ordering some more shrimp to get a good population going--especially since I'm pretty sure now all of my adults are females, which makes it difficult for a sustained colony!

IMG_20141213_082829987.jpg

Whatd'youthink? Ready for shrimp yet?

I've just been running the filter without any media in it--the bag of biomax I put in the filter of the big tank to let it get some nice BB gunk on it. Just switched it over, so lets see if some of this can clear up. The question I have now is if nitrates can be too high for plants? Everything in there is still looking nice and healthy, no crypt melt or nothin'.

The plants will appreciate the excess,definitely not ready for shrimp though...fish-less cycling?

Getcha sleeves wet fish tank people!

Sry missed that you've already added fauna,don't let your ammo get above .25 ...May require 50% wc's daily until you've completed your cycle..I tested 2 times daily(morning&late afternoon)so's to keep up with the levels..edge's can be a little tricky to cycle but can be done with patience..

Well, in the short amount of time since I posted the last picture, I did this:

IMG_20141211_212040317.jpg

I kind of like your idea of the broken stick thing; might have to play with that tomorrow. Sort of thinking of ordering some more shrimp to get a good population going--especially since I'm pretty sure now all of my adults are females, which makes it difficult for a sustained colony!

Read this post assuming you'd added shrimp...

Back
Top Bottom