Help me plant this Edge!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's fine, but was always going to be a temporary solution for me (got some baby shrimp by accident in some moss, and things have now spiraled out of control into apparent Multiple Tank Syndrome).

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f70/reentry-my-45-a-319932-6.html#post3087173

Should be a picture of it. It's an old old oooooolllllld 2 gallon betta hex tank I had from 20 years ago or something like that. I think it was my first fish tank, actually!

Yeah I know about MTS,I have 5 planted tanks in which shrimp have a presence..

Getcha feet wet fish tank people!

Question: since it isn't all the way full (haven't bothered since I'm still messing around in it and don't want to drain it every time) I haven't been running the filter at night since it makes a louder noise and it's in my bedroom. Since it's still just plants is there any reason this isn't a good thing?

And now that I'm sitting here wondering, where did all that ammonia come from? Could the O+ root caps have done that?

BTW, the ammonia is going down since I added the seeded media.

Question: since it isn't all the way full (haven't bothered since I'm still messing around in it and don't want to drain it every time) I haven't been running the filter at night since it makes a louder noise and it's in my bedroom. Since it's still just plants is there any reason this isn't a good thing?

I find the Hagen/Fluval filters are sometimes hard to get restarted. I like the trickling water noises. :)

And now that I'm sitting here wondering, where did all that ammonia come from? Could the O+ root caps have done that?

BTW, the ammonia is going down since I added the seeded media.

Yes they could have, I heard just do a big pwc or 2 and you are good. But since you already have the seeded media, feed the BB, lol.

Tested the water this morning and the ammonia and nitrates were down to reasonable levels but the nitrites were still maxed out. I didn't think the plants would use all the nitrates up so fast?

This morning did a 2 gallon water change, tested it when I got home from work and nitrites were still maxed. Did a 2.5 gallon water change, nitrites were still maxed. Did another 2.5 gallon water change, nitrites are... maybe... one notch down. Maybe not though. Guess I ought to do another round and check again.

_________
Yelling into the tin can from the far end of the string

So, been a couple weeks here. Finally got the tank cycled, but unfortunately while waiting in the small bowl tank all my shrimp died (I'm pretty sure it was from a calcium deficiency as they all died from unsuccessful molting. Not something I thought I would have to worry about as my water always leaves mineral stains on whatever it dries on and I have always been under the impression that we had hard alkaline water, but when I test it with the DH/KH kit it's right in the 5-8 range which is pretty normal and not nearly as extreme as I was under the impression of. Purchased some dedicated invert food with calcium supplement and have more shrimp on order, and I guess that's why they always say to start out with RCS before you move up to more expensive complicated types.)

Despite all that , in the edge the plants are doing marvelously. Experienced zero crypt melt and now they are all putting on new leaves, I've trimmed and replanted the star repens, the anubias have new leaves also, and the ludwigia would be crawling out the top if it could through the glass. I've been turning on the work lamp and pointing it in whenever I can remember, but I also just ordered a 16" finnex stingray for it so we'll see how that does.

And whatever else happens, the pond snail hitchhikers in there are looking really happy!

Really interested to see about the Stingray light!

Sometimes even a little over feeding can throw off the balance in the tank/bowl. Also possible about the food, which invert food as you know contains extra minerals for molting. Sorry to hear they are gone. Sometimes they could have a few babies in there and grow up and surprise you.

Well, unexpectedly, the shrimp came today. Glad I decided I ought to check the tracking information rather than just waiting for an email!

wpid-img_20150105_213039109.jpg

Seems they spent an extra day in Denver, but 15 shrimp all arrived alive, and now all buzzing about the edge. I'm super happy that I can now look out of the corner of my eye when sitting at my desk and actually see things moving around in there, since it's been a pretty dead cube of water until now!

Back
Top Bottom