Hornwort

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gboy66

Aquarium Advice Addict
Do you plant hornwort? I planted mine in the back of my tank and it has shot up to the top and each stem has probably grown a foot in a month. Iv noticed that the bottom part of the plant becomes unrooted, and looks dead...what should i do?

Gboy66 said:
Do you plant hornwort? I planted mine in the back of my tank and it has shot up to the top and each stem has probably grown a foot in a month. Iv noticed that the bottom part of the plant becomes unrooted, and looks dead...what should i do?

It's a floating plant but you can plant it. It won't grow roots. If you want it to stay down put a plant weight in the bottom. The bottom part may have died because of lack of light buy most likely rotted off from being in the substrate. It grows REALLY fast. It took over my tank within a few months so I got rid of it.

Hmm so it doesnt matter if its in the substrate or not? Its not like i dont have enough haha :D why get rid of it?! Haha ill just have to trim it alot i guess!

ive grown hornwort i stuck it in the substrate and it would still grow like crazy, its a cool plant but will soon take over your tank if your not careful :)

New said:
ive grown hornwort i stuck it in the substrate and it would still grow like crazy, its a cool plant but will soon take over your tank if your not careful :)

Ya, i have it growin to the way top and it has all circled around the surface. I like the densly-planted look though and i think my hatchets and tetras do too. So you just put it in the ground?

yeah, just stick whatever part you want in the ground

Cool. And for ferns and plants like that, if there is a dead leaf, should you cut it off for more nutrients to go to healthy leaves?

Cool. And for ferns and plants like that, if there is a dead leaf, should you cut it off for more nutrients to go to healthy leaves?

yep, if theres a dead leaf get rid of it

I have had a mini java fern for over 6 months, ive cut off some drying leaves, but nothing is happening.

I meant dying leaves. What should I do? Also, I have hortwort that grew a foot over a weeks time, and now it has just stopped, so I broke them into new smaller pieces, it's been over 10 days and nothing has happened. Why is tht?

I have had a mini java fern for over 6 months, ive cut off some drying leaves, but nothing is happening.

are the rihzomes of the java ferns buried? because that could have something to do with it, and what kind of lighting do you have?

The fern is tied by fishing line to a rock. So I think it's showing(it's above the subtrate). I have 2x 15watt and it is a 55 gallon tank. I want plants, but the only wattage I could get was 30 total without getting a completely new hood. Am I right?

I also forgot to mention that the lights are called flora-max For plants growth? Does tht make a difference?

liljosh609 said:
I meant dying leaves. What should I do? Also, I have hortwort that grew a foot over a weeks time, and now it has just stopped, so I broke them into new smaller pieces, it's been over 10 days and nothing has happened. Why is tht?

Thats odd. Do you dose ferts? I do and that helps. I also dose iron supplement

Not sure about the spectrum. Here's a pic of it. And last time I checked, everything was in order, ammonia and nitrates. And nitrites were 0

Nope. I just threw them in the tank and prayed. Ha. I was on a trip for a week and hen I it back 3 stalks were at the surface. Maybe if I break it they will start growing again. I put a small piece in my little betta bowl 3 inch. Long no lighting, just by a window with full sun ray blockage, and that dang thing grew at least a foot. Then the betta died and got rid of everything.

These are the pics

Attachments

• image-2286447920.jpg
    image-2286447920.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 64
  • image-4117296106.jpg
    image-4117296106.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 75
  • image-1134073925.jpg
    image-1134073925.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 73
Also, one of my vals srems to be doin bad. Its weird. I have two and the one on the left side of the tank has branched off, and almost doubled. But the one on the right has actually shrunk!! It might be because it gets less "natural" light but thats my only idea. Should i move it to the other side or will that make things worse for it??

Back
Top Bottom