Hornwort - what gives?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gimmethatfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I got some bunches of hornwort from my LFS. Bought them all at the same time out of the same tank. I distributed them among my 3 tanks and put them in the tanks about a month ago.

I have a desktop tank at work - a 4 gallon fluval view with 1 betta - where the hornwort is doing great. It's nice and bright. The fluval view just has a little bank of LEDs. A lot of the review said you can't grow anything in it, but all the plants I have in it are doing great - 1 java fern, 1 anubias, and the hornwort. I am not dosing with any ferts or carbon, mainly because I keep forgetting to bring some to work.

I have a 10 gallon tank at home also with 1 betta, and the hornwort is turning dull and brown around the fringes. In this tank, I also have some stalks of pennywort which look okay (not growing that fast) and a java fern and anubias which are both flourishing. I have a hood with a decent bank of LEDs (at least all the reviews said would grow plants fine). I dose with Flourish and Excel.

I have a 55 gallon tank where the hornwort is just totally crapping out. It is not heavily planted, but I do have quite a few other plants - amazon sword, moneywort, jungle val, java ferns, anacharis. All the other plants are doing well. I have a pretty decent compact fluorescent light which does need to be replaced soon but it's doing well for now. I dose with Flourish and Excel and will be getting some root tabs when I rescape.

The only difference is the ferts. Does hornwort just not do well with ferts? I really didn't think it would do well in the 4G tank because of the lighting, but it's doing the BEST there. What the heck?

Chances are it's the difference in water parameters, probably the PH, or a temperature difference. I see the same thing in different tanks at home with many different types of plants.

Well I don't like it! Maybe I should just put it all in the 4G tank. The temp is a little higher in that tank, and the pH of the water out of the tap at work is about 7.0 on the dot while at home it's 7.4. Jetta the betta would probably love all the extra greenery.

Back
Top Bottom