How can I get this cleaned up?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Visionist

Aquarium Advice Freak
I went on vacation for 10 days and my 55 dirted got a bit scummy after that period. Only livestock current in the tank is a kuhli loach, a leopard ctenopoma and some mts and a few nerite snails. Whats the best way to get the plants/sand bed cleaned up? I bought a small bristlenose pleco to help but hes in QT right now.

Sent from my LG G2 using Aquarium Advice mobile app.

Attachments

• 1402235925759.jpg
    1402235925759.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 123
By "scummy" do you mean algae or is there something else you are referring to?
I see that you have a marineland Penguin. However, that penguin you have is for tanks between 50-70 which is not sufficient for a 55g tank. A 55g should have a filter that is meant for at least 2x its size.

I see that you have a marineland Penguin. However, that penguin you have is for tanks between 50-70 which is not sufficient for a 55g tank. A 55g should have a filter that is meant for at least 2x its size.

Why is this? I have an Aquaclear 70 in my 60 gal.

You want to have a filter that will have more flow so that your tank will stay clear. A filter should also have 10x turnover of the tanks total volume for the best mechanical and chemical filtration. As for biological, you want there to be enough room and movement for the old bacteria to get "pushed off" and the new bacteria to form. When you have a filter that is meant for 2x your tank size, you will maximize your filtration by having good flow and area for bacteria to grow, waste to be caught, and the chemicals to do there thing.

I have the penguin + a 20g internal filter on the opposite side for more flow. Its not filtration thats the problem its the algae that built up on the ground and plants from being gone 10 days.

I have the penguin + a 20g internal filter on the opposite side for more flow. Its not filtration thats the problem its the algae that built up on the ground and plants from being gone 10 days.

Grab a few Mystery Snails and or Ramshorn or pond snails and they will clean, clean, clean.

Also big pwc sounds good too, and was some one feeding while you were gone, maybe over feeding...if not then the lights may have been on too long. Also window daylight or lamp nest to tank or light in room can also have an effect of too much light for too long.

Try changing your light schedule to 4-6 hour on a couple hours off and then 3-5 on, or the other way around, just as long, mainly that there is a break/rest period in between, you can use a timer.

Grab a few Mystery Snails and or Ramshorn or pond snails and they will clean, clean, clean.

Also big pwc sounds good too, and was some one feeding while you were gone, maybe over feeding...if not then the lights may have been on too long. Also window daylight or lamp nest to tank or light in room can also have an effect of too much light for too long.

Try changing your light schedule to 4-6 hour on a couple hours off and then 3-5 on, or the other way around, just as long, mainly that there is a break/rest period in between, you can use a timer.

Pond snails eat plants, mystery snails can also eat plants and dont really touch much algae. I already have a bunch of Malaysian trumpets and some nerites which are much better for algae control.

Pond snails eat plants, mystery snails can also eat plants and dont really touch much algae. I already have a bunch of Malaysian trumpets and some nerites which are much better for algae control.

Nerites are great for glass, I disagree completely about the Mystery snails and pond snails, bladder snails commonly called pond snails eat biofilm and soft algae. I have seen them clean up a tank in a matter of days, DW, plants, rocks, less so on glass.

Japanese trap door snails will eat plants and they are also, at times referred to as pond snails.

The MS and Pond snails and Ramshorns will eat decaying edges on plants' leaves and stems and root areas as well as algae on them. Sometimes there is so much algae it takes time for them to eat it all.

You don't have to have more snails if you don't want them....., your tank, your rules.

I also want to put in a word for pond snails. Mine just cleaned up a leaf on my compact amazon sword. I had this one leaf covered with 3 cm long dark green fuzz, but they totally cleaned it. For reasons of symmetry I really wanted to save that leaf.

You want to have a filter that will have more flow so that your tank will stay clear. A filter should also have 10x turnover of the tanks total volume for the best mechanical and chemical filtration. As for biological, you want there to be enough room and movement for the old bacteria to get "pushed off" and the new bacteria to form. When you have a filter that is meant for 2x your tank size, you will maximize your filtration by having good flow and area for bacteria to grow, waste to be caught, and the chemicals to do there thing.

His tank is very lightly stocked, so his filtration should be fine. The 10x turnover rate is much more for species like goldfish and other high bioload types. I have a filstar xp2 on my 55 gallon and I have plenty clear water. I don't even have a micro filter pad and it stays clean.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

His tank is very lightly stocked, so his filtration should be fine. The 10x turnover rate is much more for species like goldfish and other high bioload types. I have a filstar xp2 on my 55 gallon and I have plenty clear water. I don't even have a micro filter pad and it stays clean.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Agreed, the recommended turnover rate has to depend on the stocking and the type of filter. For instance, you don't have to have the same amount of turnover from a canister that you do from a HOB. Every tank is a bit different in its filtration needs.

Were your lights on a timer ?

Reduce lighting to 6 hours a day for now. Big PWC yes and do water tests.

Some Excel or Metricide may help as well.

And too large a filter can blow your plants and fish around. I try for good filtration. I do have a Canister on a 10g. But I have custom Lily Pipes to direct the flow.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Were your lights on a timer ?

Reduce lighting to 6 hours a day for now. Big PWC yes and do water tests.

Some Excel or Metricide may help as well.

And too large a filter can blow your plants and fish around. I try for good filtration. I do have a Canister on a 10g. But I have custom Lily Pipes to direct the flow.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lights were on a 6 hour timer. I did a 40% water change on wednesday and a 60% change last night? You think excel would help?

Back
Top Bottom