Crowded Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

connor31556

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi guys below I posted a picture of my 5g tank. It's completely cycled and I recently bought a betta, nerite, and an assain snail. One the first day everything went fine and then on the second day I got the betta to eat. He was looking good and healthy then the next morning I wake up and hes no where to be found! I turned the tank inside out looked in the filter and in all of the decorations but nothing. I came to the conclusion that a mix of the tannins from the wood lowering the ph along with 3 snails I had in the tank (added a nerite from another tank to help clean algae also have a minor pest snail problem) most have somehow managed to dismantle the fish in the 12 hour period along with help from the fish being stuck to the filter. This is my best educated guess but by no means is it completely correct. To adjust the tank I am going to put a small block of sponge in front of the filter intake (to slow it) and here is where my question comes in. I have little experience with tiny tanks and I think I might have too much decorations in the tank but I'm not sure if this is a problem as I am also looking into getting shrimp. So the question is should I remove the rock so the next betta I has enough room? I dont know if this is a good idea as if I do get shrimp it would leave them less places to hide. Any thought would be appreciated thanks. (Yes I know the dwarf hair grass is dying and no I dont want to start a co2 system)20210319_175023.jpg

More likely that the betta jumped out of the tank. They are known to do this. Cant tell if there is a lid on the tank.

More likely that the betta jumped out of the tank. They are known to do this. Cant tell if there is a lid on the tank.
I was thinking that at first but I have a glass lid on the top and if it had jumped out I would have smelt it by now.

That is a puzzler. I have basically the same residents (but mystery snail instead of assassin snail) in a larger tank and they've been coexisting for over a year now. Has anyone here ever heard of snails eating a fish? I haven't, and I'm wondering if this has happened to anyone else. As far as I know the filter in a small tank isn't too strong for a betta to pull away from at will. I tend to think like Aiken Drum - you have a jumper. It's possible you wouldn't smell him; I've had a few snails die over the years and although everyone says "You'll know because the smell is horrible" that didn't happen. They slammed their doors shut and turned to dust inside, and when I moved them there was no smell at all. So conventional wisdom that you'll smell him may not be true.

I would scour the entire area all around, not just floor but every little surface for several feet around the tank. As long as you're moving that rock (I vote Yes, give the betta more space and the shrimp will find their spots) consider moving everything around inside the tank and feel/look for him. Since fish, as far as I know, don't spontaneously combust, I have a suspicion that he might have gotten himself wedged under or between something and couldn't get out for the nips of air he needs.

Snails will certainly eat a dead fish if they can get at it, but i doubt they would completely consume a betta overnight unless you have a horde of them.

Having a lid makes it less likely that the betta jumped, but if there is a gap big enough for the betta to fit through i still think thats the most likely possibility of where it went.

Almost a Week late still no smell. The cat couldnt have gotten to him either so ur probably right that he jumped and I never smelt him. There is a little space between the lid and edges of tank (though it must have been a very tight fit). from the sounds of it I need to move the 6 dollar rock :(. I'll find somewhere to put it though (mabye in my comunity tank). Thanks for the opinions

Back
Top Bottom