I got PLANTS! Now what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishyfanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, so after many months of trying to find plants for my 5 and 10 gal tank, I finally got some tonight. Of course every store I went to didn't have Java Ferns, or anything low light for that matter. Finally I came to a little rinky dink store that had some. Well, I'm hoping they are low light plants. I went by his word (I know, probably not the best advice) Could you guys let me know if I will do ok with the plants?

Anubias Nana (Anubias barteri v. 'Nana') and
Green Wendtii (Cryptocoryne Wendtii)

I have 2 of the Crypt's and 1 of the Anubias. I'm probably going to put the 1 Anubias in the 5 gal tank which has a 10 Watt Bulb. And the other 2 in my 10 gal tank which has a 15 Watt Bulb. Does this sound like adequate lighting?

Also, they are potted. So what do I do? The guy at the store was a complete idiot and had no clue what he was talking about. Do I just put the pot in the sand and let it grow? I have all of the chemical stuff that was recommended to me by members on AA and the plant test kit. How often am I supposed to dose with fertilizer stuff? I'm sure I'll get the hang of it after a while, but right now I have NO clue.

So I did a little research and found that the Anubias Nana will produce flowers. How often will it produce flowers? The websites that I went to didn't say how often, just that they could.

probally when theres good nutrition, light, co2 etc. it might put out a flower. im not sure though

The cryptocoryne needs to be taken out of the pot and planted in the substrate with the crown of the plant at the level of the sustrate. It will grow underground rhizomes from which new plants will sprout. The Anubias needs to be planted so the rhizome is above the surface of the substrate; only the roots get planted. They are both what one would consider low light plants. The Anubias is a very slow grower. Are those incandescent bulbs in the canopy? If they are, you might consider getting the compact flourescents that screw into the incandescent socket, as you will get much more light from the same amount of energy. They are even available in a natural daylight model. They may cost a little more but will outlast regular bulbs about 7 to 1(or maybe better) and use less energy while providing much more light. the Anubias may flower, but don't hold your breath waiting for it, and same for the crypt.

The bulb in the 10 gal is a flourescent bulb. But the bulb in the 5 gal is incandescent. I don't want to increase the wattage because then I'm getting above the 2 watts per gal and I'm not interested in doing CO2 for a 5 gal tank. Plus, my Bettta really isn't too happy with the 10 Watt bulb the way it is. I'll probably end up replacing it with a 7 Watt.

So basically I need to take both of them out of the potts and put them into the substrate. The crypt roots should be completely covered with sand, just so the stems are poking out. Then the Anubias needs to have part of the potted soil (?) sticking out of the top of the gravel. Do I have that right? Do I need to put one of those suppliment tabs with the roots when planting?

Also, I've been having a major algae issue with the 10 gal. Tonight I bought Phosphate reducing media. Would it be ok to put that in the filter the same time I plant the plants?

Fishyfanatic said:
But the bulb in the 5 gal is incandescent. I don't want to increase the wattage because then I'm getting above the 2 watts per gal and I'm not interested in doing CO2 for a 5 gal tank.

The problem here isn't the wattage, its the type of light that the incandescent offers...it will simply not be correct to grow your plants...get a 9W screw-in fluorescent fror it.

Then the Anubias needs to have part of the potted soil (?) sticking out of the top of the gravel.

The Anubias has a little horizontal 'stick' that the leaf stems eroupt from, with the root sticking out beneath it...this 'stick' is the rhizome...it needs to be planted so that the roots are in the substrate and the rhizome is lying on top of it. Or, alternatively, lash it to some wood or rock, where it will anchor itself in time.

Do I need to put one of those suppliment tabs with the roots when planting?

Probably not, no.

Tonight I bought Phosphate reducing media. Would it be ok to put that in the filter the same time I plant the plants?

Personally, I would scrape out the current algae, plant the plants, then wait a week or so to see how things go.

just get a compact florescent bulb from walmart or like petco or something. its around 6$ at walmart for 10 watts. if you dont like walmart you can look around

Thanks guys. From the first post I was under the impression that by switching to a cf, that the wattage would increase. The bulb that I bought is for planted tanks. Or at least that's what the box said. The bulb has a slightly blue tint to it, but the light that it puts off is crystal clear. I'll check at Wal-Mart for a screw-in cf. Would it be in just the regular lighting section or the fish section? I don't recall seing screw-in cf's in the fish section, but maybe I wasn't looking good enough. I just want to double check before I buy a cf, but it in my tank and it not be suitable for aquariums. If you can't tell, I'm pretty over cautious about my tanks.

Also, don't cf's put off a larger amount of heat? Will it be too much heat for my 5 gal betta tank? And, the bulb isn't protected by a water guard. Water regularly splashes up onto the bulb. Will that cause problems for the cf?

Sorry for asking so many questions, I just want to get it right the first time. It was hard enough trying to find low light plants. I bought all they had. That's why I only have 3. Otherwise I would have gotten another 4 or 5 more for the 10 gal tank. That way I could have a nice line along the back of the tank.

Fishyfanatic said:
Would it be in just the regular lighting section or the fish section?

Regular lighting section.

I just want to double check before I buy a cf, but it in my tank and it not be suitable for aquariums.

Fine, but make sure there is a glass top or somesuch between the bulb and the water...I find that these screw-in fluorescents don't like getting wet.

Also, don't cf's put off a larger amount of heat? Will it be too much heat for my 5 gal betta tank?

Not more than a 10W incandescent, and no, it will be fine.

And, the bulb isn't protected by a water guard. Water regularly splashes up onto the bulb. Will that cause problems for the cf?

Yes (see earlier comment)...and you should have one anyways...water in contact with incansecents is really not all that safe...not so much the bulb as the socket (water will run down the length of the bulb and into the socket, given time).

I've never seen the water protectors before on sale at a store. I'm assuming this is something that I will have to order. I've had the tank for about 10 months now and haven't had issues yet, but like you said, it should definately have a guard. Maybe I should wait to put the cf in the hood until I get the guard? I'll buy the bulb, but maybe wait until after I get the guard to put it in?

Thanks alot Toirtis! I really want to start this off the right way. That's probably why I bought all the chemical stuff 2 months in advance. :D Do you think I'll even need the chemical/fertilizer stuff? I bought: Seachem Flourish Tabs 10 Pack, Seachem Flourish Nitrogen 500 ml, Seachem Flourish Excel 2 Liter, Seachem Plant Fundamentals-3 Pack, and Red Sea Plant Care Mini Lab.

its in the fish section. its made my american lights or something. its in a white box i think

or at least thats where i got it for my 5 gallon. for the 10 gallon just get it from menards or home depot

The 10 Gal light is a flourescent bulb, I'm not going to upgrade that one. It already has plenty of light.

Also, I've never heard of Menards. What is it?

ya know the "Save big money at menards" commercial? you should have them since we live in the same state..

http://menards.com/

menards looks alot different when you type it out then when you look at the sign

Fishyfanatic said:
I've never seen the water protectors before on sale at a store. I'm assuming this is something that I will have to order.

Just a glass top will do.

Maybe I should wait to put the cf in the hood until I get the guard? I'll buy the bulb, but maybe wait until after I get the guard to put it in?

Sounds good.

Thanks alot Toirtis! I really want to start this off the right way. That's probably why I bought all the chemical stuff 2 months in advance. :D Do you think I'll even need the chemical/fertilizer stuff? I bought: Seachem Flourish Tabs 10 Pack, Seachem Flourish Nitrogen 500 ml, Seachem Flourish Excel 2 Liter, Seachem Plant Fundamentals-3 Pack, and Red Sea Plant Care Mini Lab.

With as few plants as you currently have, that should be enough to last you years. :wink:

The nearest store is in Effingham. That's over 2 hours from here. I've never seen the commercial, or the store.

I plan to plant the 55 gal tank when I set it up. That's why I got so much. Plus, you can get twice as much stuff for only a couple bucks more. :D

So I will need to find a glass hood for the 5 gal? It is one of those hex tanks that has the filter and lightset all in one. I'd have to replace the filter and light strip then too.

Fishyfanatic said:
So I will need to find a glass hood for the 5 gal? It is one of those hex tanks that has the filter and lightset all in one. I'd have to replace the filter and light strip then too.

Well, a piece of glass to go between the water and the light...should be easy enough, non?

wow.. home depot is probally better. but menards has that 11% lower.. even though i dont even like the place that much

Back
Top Bottom