Ian086's 29g Planted Tank Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like that stock list ian!
Cheers jwh. It's Old Scales I have to thank. I should have all areas of the tank covered, top, middle, bottom. I really hope I can find the pencilfish, the coral/red variety look amazing.
Not sure what just went on there, glad the Mods/Admins sorted it!!!!

Ok guys. Thanks for hanging round. A quick update. The place that this new tank is going to be placed currently houses my 15g planted. I have to move this tank but there is a slight issue. We are getting some fitted wardrobes in our bedroom in about 10 days. The chest of drawers I will be moving the 15g onto is in use until we get the new wardrobes. This makes the move impossible until the wardrobes happen. I told you it would be a slow build, slowest in AA's history....haha.
I really need the 15g to be put on the chest of drawers, as it has 5 drawers where I can put all my 'stuff'. The GF is really getting on my back about the state of the room and in fairness, she is right. It is a mess currently but as I say to her, "It will be beautiful when I get done, honey. You may even start to like the fish now". NO CHANCE!!!. I think she hates them even more now...lol.
Thanks to you guys who have stuck by, I know it's been boring lately but maybe you know now what I'm going through with waiting on people to get back to you on stuff, getting stands made, ordering substrate(that still hasn't arrived, 3wks later!!), trying to source plants and arranging their delivery between juggling all the above factors, mentioned above blah blah blah. Anyway, therapy session over for today.....
Got my Seachem Safe today. 1kg treats 200,000 gallons of water. I guess this stuff should last me a while...lol. It came from Australia, only ordered two weeks ago. Was expecting it to be about a month shipping, very impressive. Glut arrived on Tue. Ordered that the same day as the Safe, Glut came from US(Florida).
I was thinking of adding an Aquaclear 20 or 30 to this tank. I will be running the Fluval C4(already purchased). I know you never have too much filtration but is it a bit overkill??. I like extra filtration but I don't want a tornado either!!!.
Another question, my LFS has some plants that I have my eye on. Now they only get a plant delivery every 6wks or so and DON'T do special orders. Should I buy the two plants, Staurogyne Sp(US version=Hygrophila sp. 'Roraima') & Ludwigia sp 'Super Red' now and can I just leave them in my 15g until I'm ready??
Picture of the stand for my 15g and the Safe......

Hi Ian,
I vote get the plants now and put in the 15g. A bird in the hand, you know. Don't worry about the time frame as we are always here. Sharing our builds and the trials and tribulations is the fun part. You know that Hy. Roraima is a pretty good find. It's not that common to find in local shops. No telling when you might see it again.
With the C4, IMO, I would go with the AC20. The AC30 might be a bit much. Especially when blowing around your taller plants. Once you get it set up and if the flow is still too much, I can get with you about making a bottle baffle to take the flow away from the plants. Later mo Cara, Breeun.

Ok, so I get a phone call and my mate has the stand ready. He told me yesterday that it would be next week. This thing is solid. I can sit on it and it doesn't budge and that's saying something!!!. He only charged me €50($60). There's no way I could do it anywhere as good as this. Don't mind the colour, you will not see anything from the worktop down. I plan on using some thick heavy curtain across the front and sides......

Attachments

• DSCF9865.jpg
    DSCF9865.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 91
  • DSCF9869.jpg
    DSCF9869.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 89
  • DSCF9871.jpg
    DSCF9871.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 104
  • DSCF9873.jpg
    DSCF9873.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 98
And one plant, I forgot my wallet!!!. I'll pick up some more tomorrow....

Attachments

• DSCF9876.jpg
    DSCF9876.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 101
  • DSCF9879.jpg
    DSCF9879.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 101
  • DSCF9880.jpg
    DSCF9880.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 95
GREAT! So glad he got your stand built already. NOW! Let the build and pictures begin. lol. Stand looks great and what a great price for something hand made. Good thing you're off work tomorrow! OS.

Ian stand looks very nice! Proper stand for a proper tank.. Now here goes carpenter in me.. The particle board that is constructed of does not like moisture very much, couldn't help but notice done exposed edges, not to worry;) they sell iron on finishing edging at your home goods store! All you need is scissors or razor knife and an iron!

Ian it looks awesome ! I have a quick question for you I have a 20 long tank with glass hood and fluval eco bright led I was wondering where you think I should place the light middle tank , the front or the rear thank you again for all your help. Your tank looks awesome can't wait to see it done !ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395602585.868309.jpg

Ian it looks awesome ! I have a quick question for you I have a 20 long tank with glass hood and fluval eco bright led I was wondering where you think I should place the light middle tank , the front or the rear thank you again for all your help. Your tank looks awesome can't wait to see it done !View attachment 229717
Hey Ndefil. Thanks for the kind words. I am NO expert with lights but from the picture it looks fine to me. Old Scale or Brian_Nano are the men to ask.....

Ok thank you Ian. Hopefully they chime in! I'm so excited to see your tank up and running!

Ian stand looks very nice! Proper stand for a proper tank.. Now here goes carpenter in me.. The particle board that is constructed of does not like moisture very much, couldn't help but notice done exposed edges, not to worry;) they sell iron on finishing edging at your home goods store! All you need is scissors or razor knife and an iron!
Hi Brookster, you are spot on, that's exactly what I thought when I saw it. If I can't get the right finishing edging, could I paint it with gloss paint to seal it???

Hi Brookster, you are spot on, that's exactly what I thought when I saw it. If I can't get the right finishing edging, could I paint it with gloss paint to seal it???
yes paint would suffice! High gloss will provide best water repellency and clean up better as well! I have some extra edge banding, pm me and maybe I could send one of my carrier pigeons on holiday!

Haha i feel your frustration
Yeah, I ordered it from England not Australia!!. Hopefully I will get a reply from them today but I won't hold my breath. I picked up some bathroom paint today for the edges of the top and sides of the stand. I got the tester bottles. I spoke with my painter mate and he said it will be ok. Paint it and then put a few layers of clear vanish over it. It will seal it for sure. I couldn't get any of the edging....

Back
Top Bottom