Introduction to plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LayzorBeams

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So i am completely inexperienced with aquatic plants. I have tried before but apparently not wrapped my head around how it works.

My first project is to be my 29 gallon. It is just holding temporary fish in it right now but will have:

-Angel x1
-Silvertip Tetra x6
-Bronze Cory x5
-German Blue Ram Pair
-Bristlenose Pleco (not sure about this)

So i was wondering:

-how to fertilize?
-what lights to use?
-what plants to buy?
-sand?
-what fertilizer to use?
-how to make it relatively low cost?
-how to "trim?" the plants
-how to plant them so they stay that way
-will they be able to survive my fish?

The tank is near (literally in front if it by 3 inches) the window and is fully exposed to sunlight.It has sand. Low current. Heating available. Do i need lights?

How do plants work? Heeelllp!!??!

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Also i dont know the scientific name of these plants so a common name is belpful to me. I have access to common plants, i can recall seeing Anubias, Amazon Sword, Anarachis...

Hello :)

-how to fertilize? You can use PPS-PRO by GLA(very cost effective)..OR.. Flourish Comprehensive and API Leaf Zone. Then for your carbon source you can use Flourish Excel or Metricide 14(this stuff is strong and can melt some plants) general rule (always check bottle) is 1mL per 10 gallons.

-what lights to use? T5 bulbs(shop light fixture is very cheap), or if you're an LED lover, Finnex is a very nice looking and effective(at plants and the wallet). A Finnex planted+ or a 24/7 will grow most plants.

-what plants to buy? This is up to you, easy plant list:
Hornwort
Water sprite
Wisteria
Anubias species
Java moss
Java Fern
Dwarf sag
Amazon sword
Crypt parva
Crypt wendtii
Crypt Balansae
Hygrophila corymbosa
Moneywort
Ludwigia repens
Pennywort
Vallisneria(very susceptible to melt with Metricide)

-sand? Sand is a great substrate to use

-what fertilizer to use? Mentioned above.

-how to make it relatively low cost? Shop lights, that PPS-PRO lasts a LONG time.

-how to "trim?" the plants? This varies by plant. Once you pick the ones you want this can be discussed.

-how to plant them so they stay that way? Again varies by species. Most plants you can just plant it in the substrate like you won't any plant and it will stay. You will find along the road you will move them around to what you want though :)

-will they be able to survive my fish?
Yes your stock is fine

The tank is near (literally in front if it by 3 inches) the window and is fully exposed to sunlight.It has sand. Low current. Heating available. Do i need lights?

This can pose an algae problem fast. I'd move it out of the sunlight if possible. Lights are still recommended unless you just want super low light plants like Anubias and Java Fern that are indestructible.

How do plants work? Heeelllp!!??!

I hope this helps and it seems overwhelming at first but you will get the hang of it!

Caleb

Caleb did a great job at answering your question(s). Once you start seeing plants that you like and researching them or posting your ideas on here, you'll get more concise answers. Welcome to the addiction.
-Jeff

Thank you soooo much! Now i can at least start my research...

The tank has been in front of the window for about 6 months and hasn't had algae problems, although this is because it doesn't face the rising or setting sun; it faces south (i hope i got my head compass set correctly lol).

I have to sleep to make some $$ so i can buy some plants but i will look into the types of plants tommorow.

Also what is "melting"? I get the gist that it is bad for the planties...

Also what is "melting"? I get the gist that it is bad for the planties...

Certain plants can be sensitive or react negatively to fast environmental changes. Such as dumping cold(er)water on a carpet of star repens, adjusting to a new tank, etc.

Melting is basically where the plant "melts" away. Sometimes it's slowly and only a few leave at a time, sometimes it's completely down to the roots and it will make a comeback a few weeks later.

Caleb

So far ive decided to go with Wisteria, which i like the look of, and Anubias. I will grow the Anubias in the watered section of the terrarium for my frogs, because it is supposed to grow about 15x faster than when the leaves are submerged.

Will also look into some more plants!!

Will a regular aquarium light work? Or do i need to get one of those lights that you can buy that say they enhance plant growth but cost an extra billion dollars?

Also decided on Amazon Swords, and if they get to big i can put them in the 75 and keep smaller peices for the 29

So advice on those plants please?

Ive decided to skip the Pleco as ive heard that they dont do so good with plants, will use a school of Otocinclus instead.

So advice on those plants please?

Ive decided to skip the Pleco as ive heard that they dont do so good with plants, will use a school of Otocinclus instead.

Sounds good. Anubias grows pretty slow so don't expect a ton of growth. It will grow under about any light so no worries.

Amazon sword will be fine with those root tabs, mine in my 75g is almost as tall as the tank :)

Good choice on the pleco.

Caleb

Sounds good. Anubias grows pretty slow so don't expect a ton of growth. It will grow under about any light so no worries.

Amazon sword will be fine with those root tabs, mine in my 75g is almost as tall as the tank :)

Good choice on the pleco.

Caleb

Yeah the slow growth was a discouraging factor, but since it is technically a bog plant that only grows partially submerged in normal circumstances, ive decided to use my terrarium because it has a section of shallow water where the leaves will reach above, so it will grow faster then i will put it in the tank.

I believe what im doing right now is known as a "bump".

Sooo....
Bump

DIY root tabs can be a helpful addition. If you search Mebbid's DIY root tabs here there's a great recipe.

There are varying and sometimes conflicting opinions on fertilization. Diana Walstad wrote a book that's worth reading if you're going to be really serious. It's a little hard to follow sometimes and it's just one opinion but it's an opinion worth knowing. I'd counter that with a visit to The Barr Report website and reading about CO2 and non CO2 methods.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

I wont be very serious about these plants. Just want to make my tank look a bit nicer is all.

I do this as a hobby for the pure enjoyment, I'm not super into trying to raise and sell plants and fish. But if it happens of its own accord i have no objections.

Which, again, is why I'm not very serious about the plant aspect of this. Its 90% aesthetic so as long as it looks nice I'm happy.

Back
Top Bottom