is my anubias doomed.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smooth_cannibal

Aquarium Advice Activist
tank is 10 gallon with 2 13 watt cfl. has 3 platy, 1 male betta, and 1 ghost shrimp. whisper internal 10 gallon filter. about 30 baby java plants and the one anubias. no co2 or ferts

had my anubias nana since the end of august. all the growth is on one end of the rhizome. it had 2 baby leaves that broke off towards the other end. they started to form a new plant and I think it got eaten or sucked up and died in the filter. but ever since those baby leave broke off a few weeks ago it hasn't been doing so good.

slowly but surely the rhizome has been rotting away, it originally was around 4.5 inches long but every couple weeks I have had to cut off a little bit. in the past week I noticed most of the rhizome had turned brown except for the end where the growth was. my mom (she has a big green thumb) happened to be over and I went to pull it out to show her most of the rhizome disintegrated . roots were green though. I cut off into the green and it hasn't done anything yet but is it going to finish dying on me.

You have enough light. If you have it planted in the substrate be sure that the rhizome is sitting above it was only the hair-like roots being in the gravel. Even Anubias need some fertilizer other than just nitrates. Get a bottle of Flourish and dose as directed. See if this helps it start growing. Sometimes you will get an Anubia that just stays sickly. Probably something happened at the grower. Anubias grow so slowly that the problem won't arise until much later. Hope this helps, OS.

I apologize my life has been nuts and forgot about my threads. three weeks later I still have the anubias and it doesn't seem to be rotting away anymore since I got rid a more than the rotten end. hasn't put up any new leaves but it seems to have spit out quite a few new roots. I have it tied to a rock now but I am still soaking my driftwood I want to attach it to permantly. I am going to pick up some ferts or flourish here soon as I have time to work on my tanks.

Back
Top Bottom