Josh's journey into planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
xxwolfpackof1xx said:
as far as plants i thinkk il have java moss java fern various anubias and some marimo balls

How about for background? Check out ludwigia repens. It's one of my favorite mid, background plant.

Attachments

• image-2477973271.jpg
    image-2477973271.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 73
xxwolfpackof1xx said:
i live in RI and not sure whats hard wood and what isn't also im 14 that's why im tryin to find everything cheap as well because i mainly have to buy pre paid credit carda or use dad's paypal for stuff online

Hard to touch. I saw some DW when I went to American river and when I pinched it, the part easily broke off and you can tell that it's not solid wood and hollow inside. So I threw it away. Look for solid wood(usually heavy) and water logged if possible so you won't have to let it soak or boil the wood for a long tome.

xxwolfpackof1xx said:
pretty color thats a low light plant?

It prefers low-mid to mid light but will just do fine in a low-light tank. My little brother has a few bunches in his low light tank for 3 months now and the plant is still looking good. Growth is a lot slower though compare to the ones that I have in my mid-high,high light tank.

is pine hard or soft wood? il keep that in mind there's a whole forest a little ways off from my dads house ATV's go there alot im gonna go dw huntin tmrw

roydooms said:
It prefers low-mid to mid light but will just do fine in a low-light tank. My little brother has a few bunch in his low light tank for 3 months now and the plant is still looking good. Growth is a lot slower though compare to the ones that I have in my mid-high,high light tank.

hm il look into getting some

You could always get a nice piece of Mopani from the reptile section at Petco, (that is if you have a Petco nearby). The piece I got was around a foot long and I spent around $10.

If you go that route, I can give you a step-by-step of the prep method I used... it worked very well! No tannins leached and the wood waterlogged w/ no problem.

Welcome to planted tanks btw! :D

xxwolfpackof1xx said:
is pine hard or soft wood? il keep that in mind there's a whole forest a little ways off from my dads house ATV's go there alot im gonna go dw huntin tmrw

I'm not sure. Make sure that the wood is completely dried out or it will leech out stuff that is bad for the fish. Make sure that that the middle is not fresh and is completely dry.

lol thanks i dont have a petco only petsmart im going wood hunting tmrw though i made a thread check it out because i have not the slightest clue what to look for even though i started a freshie sw is where most my knowledge is

McLumpy said:
You could always get a nice piece of Mopani from the reptile section at Petco, (that is if you have a Petco nearby). The piece I got was around a foot long and I spent around $10.

If you go that route, I can give you a step-by-step of the prep method I used... it worked very well! No tannins leached and the wood waterlogged w/ no problem.

Welcome to planted tanks btw! :D

This is a better route IMO :)

roydooms said:
I'm not sure. Make sure that the wood is completely dried out or it will leech out stuff that is bad for the fish. Make sure that that the middle is not fresh and is completely dry.

ok i got the basics now its more telling what's hard wood and whats soft wood

xxwolfpackof1xx said:
ok i got the basics now its more telling what's hard wood and whats soft wood

If you compare a "hardwood" and "softwood" of the same size, the hardwood will be heavier.

xxwolfpackof1xx said:
can't check sig im on the app

You know you can access the regular website n your browser and just type the website, right? That's what I do when I need to use some features that are not available in the app. :)

xxwolfpackof1xx said:
hm looks like someone has to ask their father for cash and a ride tmrw should i get dw or new bulbs first?

IMO, I'd get new bulbs first. You'll have a wide variety of plants to choose from with better lighting.

roydooms said:
You know you can access the regular website n your browser and just type the website, right? That's what I do when I need to use some features that are not available in the app. :)

lol yeah im even loged in on the browser but its hard to navigate on my phone especially when i need to click i always hit the wrong thing multiple times

xxwolfpackof1xx said:
lol yeah im even loged in on the browser but its hard to navigate on my phone especially when i need to click i always hit the wrong thing multiple times

Having big fingers, I have the same problem. Lol.

roydooms said:
IMO, I'd get new bulbs first. You'll have a wide variety of plants to choose from with better lighting.

bulbs are cheaper too. it all depends on where and if dad will take me Walmarts bulbs are lackluster should i try home depot instead?

lol thanks i dont have a petco only petsmart im going wood hunting tmrw though i made a thread check it out because i have not the slightest clue what to look for even though i started a freshie sw is where most my knowledge is

Petsmart may have them too. You could always check it out online before heading to the store. If not, you could always purchase Mopani from Petco's website.

The reason I suggest Mopani is due to it being thoroughly preprepped by the company that makes it. That and it's a two-toned wood that really adds a unique look to the tank.

Back
Top Bottom