Josh's journey into planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
McLumpy said:
Petsmart may have them too. You could always check it out online before heading to the store. If not, you could always purchase Mopani from Petco's website.

The reason I suggest Mopani is due to it being thoroughly preprepped by the company that makes it. That and it's a two-toned wood that really adds a unique look to the tank.

yeah im browsing petsmarts online site now what section would it be in reptile i assume? and i just wish i could find some local wood just to make it more personal

xxwolfpackof1xx said:
bulbs are cheaper too. it all depends on where and if dad will take me Walmarts bulbs are lackluster should i try home depot instead?

I only found the 6500K GE bulbs at walmart and it was the last place I went to. Lol I went to home Depot and ace hardware but they didn't have it. Every home depot is different though. Yours might carry them.

my dad only found the 3700k at waly world he kknew what to look for too and that was the highest k rateing id hate to spend all day bulb hunting i may just ask for the dw or to go to a sw lfs and get a goby for my nano

yeah im browsing petsmarts online site now what section would it be in reptile i assume? and i just wish i could find some local wood just to make it more personal

Check the reptile section or you could do a search for "mopani" or "driftwood".

Local wood, meaning native wood from creeks and such? I would think that there would be a lot of work involved in prepping native wood. Plus, you never know what type of critters are hiding within the wood. Not to mention most woods rot.

Go to walmart first and see if they have the 6500Ks. Or if they are open 24 hours, call and ask them if they have it. That will save you time. Or call them when they open.

roydooms said:
Go to walmart first and see if they have the 6500Ks. Or if they are open 24 hours, call and ask them if they have it. That will save you time. Or call them when they open.

my waly closed at 10 its now 1:33am here lol il call tomorrow and ask im not sure what to get first my tanks so...empty

Are you looking for CFL's to fit a standard hood? I bought some from Walmart that work really well. My Melon Sword took off after I added them to my hood. IIRC, they're made by American Bulb. The ones I got are 10w CFL x 2, (of course these were put in a stock 10g Aqueon hood).

yup cfl bulb stock 15g topfin started Hood not sure if you saw the bulbs i had already but im in need of a kelvin upgrade so to speak last time i was at waly highest kelviin they had were 3100 and 4700

xxwolfpackof1xx said:
my waly closed at 10 its now 1:33am here lol il call tomorrow and ask im not sure what to get first my tanks so...empty

I'm not sure if you already mentioned this but Is your tank cycling now? I'd start with that :) are you planning to get an air pump? I got rid of mine to have a more Natural look.

this tanks been cycled and running sence 11-28-10 ii had lots of fish but lost them to ich now it's down to only two neon tetra i plan to rehome once i get planted because i want to make this a shrimp tank (rcs or crs) and yes i have a 4" round air stone

yup cfl bulb stock 15g topfin started Hood not sure if you saw the bulbs i had already but im in need of a kelvin upgrade so to speak last time i was at waly highest kelviin they had were 3100 and 4700

Oh, I see. The bulbs I got didn't even have a Kelvin rating listed on the package, (I'm sure it's listed on the bulbs, but I forgot to look lol). All I know is they are much brighter than the incadescent bulbs I had, (which makes me think that the kelvin rating is high). My plants are growing well, and I transferred some of my plants from my 55g because they were dying... they're bouncing back! :D

If you need any ideas for low-med light plants, feel free to click on my "55g Pics" or "10g Pics" links in my signature. I have all of my plants listed. :D

xxwolfpackof1xx said:
this tanks been cycled and running sence 11-28-10 ii had lots of fish but lost them to ich now it's down to only two neon tetra i plan to rehome once i get planted because i want to make this a shrimp tank (rcs or crs) and yes i have a 4" round air stone

I'd get some moss(java, Taiwan, Christmas, etc) if you are planning to have shrimp. They like a lot of hiding spots. Check out subwassertang. It looks cool and great with shrimps.

McLumpy said:
Oh, I see. The bulbs I got didn't even have a Kelvin rating listed on the package, (I'm sure it's listed on the bulbs, but I forgot to look lol). All I know is they are much brighter than the incadescent bulbs I had, (which makes me think that the kelvin rating is high). My plants are growing well, and I transferred some of my plants from my 55g because they were dying... they're bouncing back! :D

If you need any ideas for low-med light plants, feel free to click on my "55g Pics" or "10g Pics" links in my signature. I have all of my plants listed. :D

will do il prob try to open the bulb package to peek im sure thell have a higher rated one now and if not off to petsmart mabye

roydooms said:
I'd get some moss(java, Taiwan, Christmas, etc) if you are planning to have shrimp. They like a lot of hiding spots. Check out subwassertang. It looks cool and great with shrimps.

i plan on having lots of java marimo and xmass moss. do i need anything special for these shrimp

i actually read that article today it said something about these buggers costing alot is that true should i go with rcs instead? and my ph is soft 6-6.5 so im good there

Back
Top Bottom