Josh's journey into planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
beat ya to it read it earlier today as well i think i should wait till i have more moss though do you agree? also that article says i should take out the anubias because if its cut itl secret a toxic substance

xxwolfpackof1xx said:
beat ya to it read it earlier today as well i think i should wait till i have more moss though do you agree? also that article says i should take out the anubias because if its cut itl secret a toxic substance

I don't know about that but I would just follow it. HN1 has a lot of experience dealing with this stuff.

xxwolfpackof1xx said:
I'll shoot him a pm and tell him to head this way. could i even keep dw with rcs or crs?

I don't see why not.

Driftwood will leech tannins and that is favorable for RCS for they like slightly acidic water.

my water straight from faucet is already at 6-6.5 so i wonder if lower would be worse...sorry for all the dumb questions my knowledge is all in the sw territory this is all foreign to me

xxwolfpackof1xx said:
my water straight from faucet is already at 6-6.5 so i wonder if lower would be worse...sorry for all the dumb questions my knowledge is all in the sw territory this is all foreign to me

Boil the DW to rid most of the tannins changing the water when it gets really dark brown. Tannin won't really lower your pH that fast or that low. Just boil it. You can tell if the tannin is almost gone. The remaining tannin might not even have an effect on water's pH level. Just be careful not to boil it too much that the DW will fall apart.

i pmd HN1 so im surw he'll be loads of help when he logs on its 2:33 here for me so ima call it a night im really excited and hope this tank takes off

roydooms said:
Boil the DW to rid most of the tannins changing the water when it gets really dark brown. Tannin won't really lower your pH that fast or that low. Just boil it. You can tell if the tannin is almost gone. The remaining tannin might not even have an effect on water's pH level. Just be careful not to boil it too much that the DW will fall apart.

can i boil once for 5 min and thats it i like the tea look

I'm going to rest as well. Good luck with your tank.

xxwolfpackof1xx said:
can i boil once for 5 min and thats it i like the tea look

You can. I don't mind it either. The "tea color"(tannin) is what will lower your pH though.

xxwolfpackof1xx said:
hm my ph is low enough as is il let others debate but alas as we said its late and time to call it a night

I don't know if there is a limit on how low tannin can lower your pH. Example: If your pH is 8 and tannin lowered it to 7. Would it have the same effect if you have a different pH level to begin with? 6pH lowering it to 5pH? Let's both find out what others think or know.

ok morning time wich leds to more questions

1 my ph is 6-6.5 if i add dw will the tannins lower it even more

2 could i even dose ferts with a rcs crs colony

3 wich shrimp is more forgiving twords beginners and easier to breed crs or rcs?

4 do i need anything special to breed them?

5 do they need any special food?

6 when and if they breed is there a big market? i dont plan on using this to make money i just want to give away or sell at a low price to spread the enjoyment of the shrimps

xxwolfpackof1xx said:
no bulbs or dw today :/ and i cant use any local wood can i? can i use local rock at least

Just test the rocks with vinegar. When it bubbles it's not safe for your fish. Some people wash it with 1:20 bleach, water solution to disinfect. What I do is put the rocks in a big tub and fill it up with boiling water. That's just how I do it.

i just found some rocks washed em off with hose to nock dirt off cant really boil em il use bleach and vinegar test heres the pics identify the rocks mabye?

Attachments

• ForumRunnerImage.jpg
    ForumRunnerImage.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 48
wow wolf, long thread already LOL

I'm retrying my hand at planted in my 10g neon tank. My first attempt was an utter failure. :-(

Back
Top Bottom