lighting and plant help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

875mill

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm starting a new 29 gallon planted tank. this will be my first time using live plants and need a little advice. This is what I'm planning on using for my lights http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=31566;category_id=1875;pcid1=1843;pcid2=
Will this be suffecient to grow a variety of plants? Also what type of hood do you typically use with PC lighting, and where can I get one?

Can anybody help me come up with a list of plants that will grow good with this setup and are a little bit forgiving as i am a complete noob at this.

Edit: forgot to add i will be using Co2.

you won't need a hood with this light.. unless you want one.. and you have a little more than 2 watts per gallon which should be enough to grow almost anything.

think about stem plants because you want fast growers to soak up nutrients.

Ludwiga Repens is beautiful and Easy
foxtail
cabomba

all are simple and grow quickly, which will help you to balance your tank.

for foreground, I think you can pick what you like as well.. I find lileopsis to be simple and low maintenance. I also use some anubias nana which will grow even in low light.

look at some of the posts around here and see the plants you like.

Is there any reason why i wouldnt want to use a hood or cover of some type?
Pluse I would think having a hood or cover would help with evaporation, and keep fish from jumping out. ( I've had it happen once when i left my hood up on an old tank.

The light is brighter with no glass. If you think your fish will jump get a piece of glass cut for the top. I run without any top and I lose about a gallon a day in the wintertime do to evaporation.

The light may be better, but with the light above the tank, you will have some light loss due to spilleage. You cannot readily bend those reflectors to suit your specific needs. I perfer open top tanks because I want certain plants to flower but either way is nice.

It'd always be up top. simpte's just stating that due to required placement, there will be some spill over.

Back
Top Bottom