Lighting/Filter/Hornwort questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishCrazyBenBOMB

Aquarium Advice Addict
1. I feel like gettin' rid of my 5 gallon planted and move up to a 10 gallon. Would two 18in 15watt bulbs around 13-14,000K's be enough for a low light setup??

2. Also do I need a filter or can I do without one in a planted aquarium?

3. Also if I trim the tops of the hornwort off can I re-plant those in the sand or do I have to just leave them floating or do I just have to throw them out. And i'm getting this kinda greyish tips on some of the leaves on the hornwort. What is this?

I'd say that should be enough for a low light setup. You still need a filter to circulate and oxygenate your water. A low light setup isn't going to provide all the oxygen your fish would need, and yes, just trim and replant the tops

Yeah I was just in a rush today because I got some breathing test done and made me go into an asthma attack and i'm till little worked up so i'm really shaking and heart is beating fast lol.

30W should be fine to start on the 10.

As for the hornwort, you can do whatever you want (floating or planted). The tops are usu. the best part, so I just take a bit off the bottom & replant the tops. If you want more hornwort, you can cut it in half & keep both pieces. But the stuff grows so fast that I usu. just throw out all the ugly looking bits.

AND ... take some slow deep breaths, ..... relax ...., that adrenaline rush should pass soon!! :)

Yeah it's all good now and yeah I got the 10 gallon planted aquarium setup and got pictures but i'm busy tonight so i'm going to just post the pictures tmorrow in a new 10 gallon aquarium log.

Back
Top Bottom