Live plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Howkie10

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Looking for some plants to add to this 55 gal. Tank that do not require C02 (don't think I'm ready for that yet). The substrate is pool filter sand. I'm also looking to get some Cory's, neons, tetras, and mollies so advice on the fish would help to! I grew up with aquariums but never got into it until now, so this is technically my first one. Really, any advice helps.

Thank you!
1481082787930.jpg

You will want some low light, low maintenance plants it sounds like. I would recommend:
-anubias (there are MANY different types)
-Java ferns ^both of these cannot be planted, but need to be tied onto decor, rocks or wood.
- Amazon swords (need a root tab beneath them because they're heavy root feeders)
-crypts (also like root tabs)
-wisteria
-water Sprite
-aponogeton bulbs
-hygrophylla
-Java moss

Remember to add fish gradually, not all at once, because your tank will need to go through the nitrogen cycle.

Your stock list sounds good to me. You could even do some bigger fish like a few angels if you'd like. Best to add them as babies though so they don't think the neons are a snack. I'm a sucker for nice koi angels.

Thank you! This is a huge help. I knew about gradually adding fish and I know I have to let the water cycle through for about 2 weeks before adding any, but do I need to do the same with the plants? Or can I start adding plants whenever? Patience is a virtue, but im excited to get this thing up and running

You can add plants right away! They will actually use up ammonia while the tank is cycling

Actually, you can add fish now. Waiting 2 weeks will accomplish nothing (that's not cycling). But it will give you time to figure out what you want to add.
What I would do is decide on the decor (rocks, driftwood, plants, etc), get it setup and finalized and then add the fish. A few at a time.
And read up on the nitrogen cycle.

Haha thanks Fresh, didn't catch that- I replied distractedly while at work.
OP, he's right. In order for the beneficial bacteria to start growing, you've gotta feed it with fish poo! Add the most hardy species first, and you'll need to keep a close eye on the ammonia.
If you can, get a piece of filter media from an established tank to seed your new filter with bacteria.

My 55g
I do add liquid ferts 3x weekly....depending on lighting 1x weekly might work for you. I buy Thrive all in one from Amazon or NiloCG Aquatics. 1 pump is the dose. Easy !

I am using Excel for now as a Carbon source as I'm growing some stuff. I will be buying a CO2 rig sometime. I'm having some algae that I'm dealing with.

IMG_2628.jpg

You will want some low light, low maintenance plants it sounds like. I would recommend:
-anubias (there are MANY different types)
-Java ferns ^both of these cannot be planted, but need to be tied onto decor, rocks or wood.
- Amazon swords (need a root tab beneath them because they're heavy root feeders)
-crypts (also like root tabs)
-wisteria
-water Sprite
-aponogeton bulbs
-hygrophylla
-Java moss

I agree with all this. Howkie10, you'll want some fertilizers for the plants, too. I can recommend Easy Green from Aquarium Co-Op. Very easy and economical. You'll want to give the wisteria root tabs, too. Both Seachem and API make good ones.

And be sure to post pics as the tank develops. :popcorn:

1481931894882.jpg anubias, Amazon swords, and a Java Fern. Adding some Cory's in a day or two. I was thinking about 4-6 Cory's. Thanks for the help people!

1482278736669.jpg 1482278749349.jpg couple of pics just after adding the cory's! They're lovin it! ... I think.

PraziPro I think is the best ?

Try just letting them settle in and eat first. Frozen or live worms, shrimp pellets, quality flakes.

Don't treat them unless they don't fill out.

Is my light to bright!? I think my plants might be dying. They look a little dark. 1482981701917.jpg1482981708309.jpg1482981715898.jpg1482981724168.jpg

Those could be diatoms growing on the plants.
I should have pointed this out earlier; the plants appear to be set too low in the substrate. You should be about to see the crown (where the stems originate from) above the substrate. Planting deeply can result in poor growth and eventual death.

Those could be diatoms growing on the plants.
I should have pointed this out earlier; the plants appear to be set too low in the substrate. You should be about to see the crown (where the stems originate from) above the substrate. Planting deeply can result in poor growth and eventual death.
Thank you! I will do that ASAP. I figured the deeper the better, for the roots.. should have looked that up.

Back
Top Bottom